Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 178 Spoiler/Discussion Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 178 Spoiler/Discussion Thread

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I still believe that the Kamado family are his descendants but I mostly wanted to say that even though Yoriichi didn't get what he wanted the most, he was not obsessed by this, unlike his brother. So he must have found life enjoyable.

Laminariales

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Kokushibou was not only prideful of his skills but also their generation, assuming no one after would compare, he's generally a prideful person. Yoriichi philosophy on the matter that masters of their craft will gather together. There are a lot of mystery to be answered, did yoriichi come in contact with the ubuyashiki household? How did flame breath survive if kokuMazun killed everyone? my number one is nezuko. People compare tanjirou and yoriichi bc of sun breath, but then nezuko and yoriichi have the mysterious younger sibling thing in common

You know I wish for the actual flashback where yoriichi terrify muzan, that guy deserve it, feeding on his weak willed older brother, tanjirou should just yell at koku to bear with it since he's the oldest

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, that's the point, both brothers are tragic in the sense that they couldn't achieve what they wanted the most, and were blessed with what their twin was not.
Yoriichi was so happy due to one moment of appreciation he was given through the flute, but did not really like fighting, while Michikatsu took everything he had - his family, his legacy, and his happiness, the very things Yoriichi strived for but gave up for his sibling - and threw it away for what Yoriichi never cared much to begin with.

Michikatsu was never the defective clone of his brother, but he assumed so because he wasn't blessed as a combatant. Yet, when you look in the emotional aspect, he had everything he needed to be happy, and Yoriichi didn't.
They're two sides of the same coin that strived to achieve what the opposite side did, while not appreciating what they have.
I am not exactly under the impression that yorichi strived for the things kokushibo had though. There isn't any evidence that he wanted to be the successor to his family or all the stuff kokushibo had/wanted. If anything, yorichi could have taken it all from kokushibo and kokushibo would have been helpless to stop it. He was just a small child competing against yorichi, who could easily best grown ass men. kokushibo had a family and all that... but we don't know if yorichi wanted those either. Also worth noting, when he met kokushibo as an adult he already had the hanafuda... it is possible he already had a connection to the yamada family, or their ancestors.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, can someone remind me, how does kokushibo know of tanjiro? I don't remember him being aware of tanjiro or the sun breath he uses.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still believe that the Kamado family are his descendants but I mostly wanted to say that even though Yoriichi didn't get what he wanted the most, he was not obsessed by this, unlike his brother. So he must have found life enjoyable.
Eh, it didn't seem like it. From what we've seen of his adult life, Yoriichi seemed to be pretty melancholic about everything. Just like Kokushibu, he thought he was a person of no worth. At least, by the point he met with the Kamado family he did.

Also worth noting, when he met kokushibo as an adult he already had the hanafuda... it is possible he already had a connection to the yamada family, or their ancestors.
He had those since childhood.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Also, looking back at the "shared memory" tanjiro had... Yorichi makes the point that he failed to achieve the things he set out to do. But... what exactly were those? I am thinking that perhaps this memory happened after kokushibo became a demon... and yorichi's failure was that he couldn't protect his big brother.

He had those since childhood.
Ah, you are right. But then... what do the hanafuda mean? Was that explained and I missed it?

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, you are right. But then... what do the hanafuda mean? Was that explained and I missed it?
It definitely wasn't explained. I was surprised that he had them when I saw it last chapter. We probably need to see Yoriichi's half of the story to get the full context.

We still have a lot questions that need to be answered. We don't even know when the hell the Ubayashiki family got involved in all of this and when the Demon Corps actually got formed.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It definitely wasn't explained. I was surprised that he had them when I saw it last chapter. We probably need to see Yoriichi's half of the story to get the full context.

We still have a lot questions that need to be answered. We don't even know when the hell the Ubayashiki family got involved in all of this and when the Demon Corps actually got formed.
Ah, you are right. I had been assuming they were a thing around this time since otherwise the ubuyashiki family would have been surviving for about 600 years without the demon corps fighting demons. Based on what ubuyashiki explained a while ago a monk told them that there must be a demon in their family hence their short and sickly lifespans. Which would suggest they probably did not wait 600 years to start slaying demons. On the other hand.... this would imply the ubuyashiki fought demons without breaths for an staggering 600 years.

Something I just thought about... Yorichi was going to be sent to become a monk when he turned 10... Perhaps after yorichi abandoned his home he went to the temple and met the same monks that were advising the ubuyashiki family?

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I am not exactly under the impression that yorichi strived for the things kokushibo had though. There isn't any evidence that he wanted to be the successor to his family or all the stuff kokushibo had/wanted. If anything, yorichi could have taken it all from kokushibo and kokushibo would have been helpless to stop it. He was just a small child competing against yorichi, who could easily best grown ass men. kokushibo had a family and all that... but we don't know if yorichi wanted those either. Also worth noting, when he met kokushibo as an adult he already had the hanafuda... it is possible he already had a connection to the yamada family, or their ancestors.

Also, can someone remind me, how does kokushibo know of tanjiro? I don't remember him being aware of tanjiro or the sun breath he uses.
I'm not saying he particularly wanted the legacy, because he doesn't seem the type, but he most certainly wanted successors to his breath and a family. Judging by his character and personality, it doesn't seem like he received much affection, especially considering he treasured a flute made from his brother for over 70 years.
Muzan escaped his hands. Nobody could use his breath. His brother became a demon. His life wasn't exactly amazing.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I'm not saying he particularly wanted the legacy, because he doesn't seem the type, but he most certainly wanted successors to his breath and a family. Judging by his character and personality, it doesn't seem like he received much affection, especially considering he treasured a flute made from his brother for over 70 years.
Muzan escaped his hands. Nobody could use his breath. His brother became a demon. His life wasn't exactly amazing.
Yorichi did have successors to his breath though. At a minimum there were tanjiro's ancestors and kokushibo made the point that sun breath users were hunted down. It is certainly the case that yorichi's life wasn't exactly amazing from his perspective and he certainly endured hardship but I would still disagree with the idea that he wanted the stuff yorichi wanted.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Yorichi did have successors to his breath though. At a minimum there were tanjiro's ancestors and kokushibo made the point that sun breath users were hunted down. It is certainly the case that yorichi's life wasn't exactly amazing from his perspective and he certainly endured hardship but I would still disagree with the idea that he wanted the stuff yorichi wanted.
It took centuries for someone to manage to use Sun Breathing like him. I have the feeling the others knew it in theory, but could not practice it in battle, considering how difficult Kokushibou noted it to be. Although you never know.

By the way, this Reddit post really puts into perspective the era the Tsugikuni brothers were born in, and explains Michikatsu's feelings very well. It's a bit long, but it's worth the read.

Ger

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This might be the saddest death in the manga to me... Damn.

I too had doubts about the Breath of the Sun and Dance of the Fire God being the same thing. Why another name though? Maybe one of Yoriichi's descendants awakened it and named it like that because he didn't know that there was a name for it already. Not even Pillars knew much about that style.
the reason for another name is because yoriichi is t rying hide it which resulted into dance of the fire god which obviously kamado generations kept it hidden.

but now muzan knows how to detect if someone can use sun breathing is if that person has hanafuda earrings which yoriichi has and i would like to assume that the hanafuda earrings that yoriichi had has always been passed down for centuries to tanjiro's era.

Demonspeed

Damegami
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Eh, it didn't seem like it. From what we've seen of his adult life, Yoriichi seemed to be pretty melancholic about everything. Just like Kokushibu, he thought he was a person of no worth. At least, by the point he met with the Kamado family he did.
He is a stoic person though so there's that. Hopefully we'll get to learn more about his side of things.

im.me

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What I find most interesting is how even as gifted as he was, Yoriichi wasn't able to defeat Muzan.

And even when we have confirmation, slayed moons visions, that Yoriichi fighted Muzan, Muzan is still all and about living, killing and creating new demons.

We have seen that surviving decapitation is a skill upper moons could achieve, but haven't been able to do because in the end there is a memory of humanity that brings them down.

My theory is this.

Yoriichi couldn't kill Muzan, not because he lacked strength, but because decapitating him, doesn't kill him, because he doesn't have any humanity that brings him down, and for whatever reason Muzan was always able to escape him before the sun could do his thing.

But now there is something that is different from Yorrichis time, and that is "Nezuko", and I think she will be the key that brings Muzan down, and I believe the seeds for this outcome have been planted already, and that is why it has been shown to us that Nezukos blood art only injures demons.

So I don't know how, but I bet that a brother and sister team up is what ultimately ends Muzan

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What I find most interesting is how even as gifted as he was, Yoriichi wasn't able to defeat Muzan.

And even when we have confirmation, slayed moons visions, that Yoriichi fighted Muzan, Muzan is still all and about living, killing and creating new demons.

We have seen that surviving decapitation is a skill upper moons could achieve, but haven't been able to do because in the end there is a memory of humanity that brings them down.

My theory is this.

Yoriichi couldn't kill Muzan, not because he lacked strength, but because decapitating him, doesn't kill him, because he doesn't have any humanity that brings him down, and for whatever reason Muzan was always able to escape him before the sun could do his thing.

But now there is something that is different from Yorrichis time, and that is "Nezuko", and I think she will be the key that brings Muzan down, and I believe the seeds for this outcome have been planted already, and that is why it has been shown to us that Nezukos blood art only injures demons.

So I don't know how, but I bet that a brother and sister team up is what ultimately ends Muzan
I am really curious as to how this will end up tying to nezuko because as far as we know she is hidden and currently going through the process that would, theoretically, make her human. It's not like muzan can just summon her either. I suppose we have a pretty big plot twist coming.

Ger

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

My theory is this.

that is why dance of the dire god (sun breath) was stated by tanjuro to able to keep you moving in a cold weather (snowing) for 24 hours, which means yoriichi can defeat muzan through fighting him 24 hours but then again muzan when he fought yoriichi was implied to being pressed back.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
We'll probably get a lot more about Yoriichi in the Muzan fight. There's still the speech he gives Muzan that made Daki tremble and likely the whole fight to show. What we got here was just Michikatsu's side.

KrisHyung

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This might be the saddest death in the manga to me... Damn.

I too had doubts about the Breath of the Sun and Dance of the Fire God being the same thing. Why another name though? Maybe one of Yoriichi's descendants awakened it and named it like that because he didn't know that there was a name for it already. Not even Pillars knew much about that style.

I think the reasons why they changed the title of the Breath of the Sun into the dance of the fire god because muzan's kills all whoever can do or manipulated of that type of breathing technique that's why yoriichi gave it to a simple man or family who makes and sells charcoal and share it to them and changed the name of it. Sorry for wrong grammar

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Found this on Reddit:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It took centuries for someone to manage to use Sun Breathing like him. I have the feeling the others knew it in theory, but could not practice it in battle, considering how difficult Kokushibou noted it to be. Although you never know.

By the way, this Reddit post really puts into perspective the era the Tsugikuni brothers were born in, and explains Michikatsu's feelings very well. It's a bit long, but it's worth the read.
The series has shown repeatedly that there are different levels of skill for each breath. To me it would be weird if breath of the sun was any different. And different breaths suit different people, it's not even necessarily a matter of difficulty. If sun breath users were hunted down then it is pretty certain they would use it in real combat, otherwise hunting them down would be impossible. Unless demons can detect sun breath users even in spite of them using a different breath in battle.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
The series has shown repeatedly that there are different levels of skill for each breath. To me it would be weird if breath of the sun was any different. And different breaths suit different people, it's not even necessarily a matter of difficulty. If sun breath users were hunted down then it is pretty certain they would use it in real combat, otherwise hunting them down would be impossible. Unless demons can detect sun breath users even in spite of them using a different breath in battle.
Muzan and Koku went after any family that was taught Sun Breathing by Yoriichi, but that doesn't necessarily mean they could use it in battle, but perhaps as a traditional dance or something like Tanjiro's family. They could have had intel through different means, perhaps even through the hanafuda earrings, unless that was exclusive to the Kamados. That could be the case considering Yoriichi gave away his own, but in a general sense, it's a bit odd.

Besides, Michikatsu noted that Sun Breathing was very hard to learn, to the point that nobody he knew could learn it without tweaking it into Moon, Flame, etc. styles.