Discussion - Jellal Fernandes Thread | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Jellal Fernandes Thread

sharkai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I said I wouldn't hold my breath lol.
Hope and expectations are different.

Hope : WW makes the guy shed his lame persona and make him go berserk (TOH mode). Makes him use his great versatility, go elemental master mode (like Seighart) or dark magic to complement Heavenly body magic, and have a MAGE battle

Expectation: he will continue clowning or go back to guilt mode. Will have a short fight which he will end with yet another Grand chariot.

Also, Jellal did use his flames once, and they were pretty powerful; golden flames had property of burning through magic and it made Natsu go DF
But yeah, we need to see more of his abilities.

And you're on point regarding Hades. He knows the 7 kins magic, yet never used them.
Even Zeref, legendary black mage that invented several revolutionary spells, summoned demons from hell and bound them to dead bodies contracted by books, etc; fought in a physical battle 🤡🤡
sorry missed that

i think that jellal died long ago

not in battle
fairy tail characters never use other people magic effectively in battle.
for example jellal copied mystogan magic to hide himself not to win.

laxus was the first to use someone else magic to his advantage in a fight.

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
sorry missed that

i think that jellal died long ago

not in battle
fairy tail characters never use other people magic effectively in battle.
for example jellal copied mystogan magic to hide himself not to win.

laxus was the first to use someone else magic to his advantage in a fight.
Yeah, Jellal 'died' as a character for me long back as well. It's a shame cause he's one of the few characters that I see as a legitimate MAGE in the series. He has great versatility and cool powers, but we never see anything but Grand chariot 😑
Yeah, you're completely right about the fact that characters in the series only use their main magic in fights, even though other magics that they know would be more helpful in their fights. Zeref, for example, just had to stop time and one shot Natsu. But he kept using dark magic punches 🤡🤡

Did Laxus learn it? IIRC, Freed prep'd it for him, in case if emergency and Laxus said it's from Freed

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
Jellal's easily one of the most underrated characters.

Some here are acting like he's some weakling when he has been mentioned among the strongest by Gray, Natsu and Lucy (along with Laxus, Gajeel and Mirajane), has been kind of portrayed as a rival to Laxus, and was left completely unscathed from Kyria's roar, which took Erza, Lucy, Wendy and Mercphobia. Him struggling against Gears just upscales the latter, it doesn't make him look like trash. Hopefully this arc does him some justice.

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France

Some here are acting like he's some weakling when he has been mentioned among the strongest by Gray, Natsu and Lucy (along with Laxus, Gajeel and Mirajane), has been kind of portrayed as a rival to Laxus, and was left completely unscathed from Kyria's roar, which took Erza, Lucy, Wendy and Mercphobia. Him struggling against Gears just upscales the latter, it doesn't make him look like trash. Hopefully this arc does him some justice.
I think mostly people are disappointed here because he was very cool as a villain compared to the simp he is now. It has nothing to do with his exploits or his lack of exploits. But yeah the hatred against him whether from the fans or the author is way too strong.

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France

Jellal’s problem is that he has no significant feats for him, just some hype. What I would like in the current Arc is for him to face God Serena in one-on-one without outside interference. Both were Holy Magi mastering different elements. This fight could be exciting if well written. This would cheer up Jellal by proving that he is the strongest Holy Mage and one of the strongest characters of Fairy Tail (if he incorporates it), giving the hype of Mystogan as S-Class.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think mostly people are disappointed here because he was very cool as a villain compared to the simp he is now.
I agree, but Jellal is not an isolated case. I prefer Laxus when he is also a monstrous enemy : his charisma is clearly different. For example, he was an offensive monster passing directly into RL against Erza in order to leave her on the table and did not stop attacking in that goal. In return, I found him much more passive in his fight against Kirin. And I will not go back to Fantasia where his charisma was absolute.

The difference between the two characters is that Laxus keeps his charisma of a powerful warrior that makes almost everyone tremble, allied as enemies. Jellal is more honeyed and seems "fragile" in comparison. A direct contradiction with his powers which are very high.

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
Jellal’s problem is that he has no significant feats for him, just some hype. What I would like in the current Arc is for him to face God Serena in one-on-one without outside interference. Both were Holy Magi mastering different elements. This fight could be exciting if well written. This would cheer up Jellal by proving that he is the strongest Holy Mage and one of the strongest characters of Fairy Tail (if he incorporates it), giving the hype of Mystogan as S-Class.
This is exactly what I'm hoping happens.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Jellybean has become pretty comical for me as of late. He's portrayed like this serious and powerful edgelord, but the story just keeps clowning on him.

- He founded crime sorciere to help him take out Zeref, but doesn't even meet the guy.
- Gets taken out by Nineheart, and used a power-up GC to oneshot him, a feat matched by base Natsu's nameless punch
- An upgraded version of his ultimate attack gets oneshotted by Erza, who then continues on with that momentum and destroys the one who casted it
- He ends up hunting the white witch, but gets dispatched almost instantly when he found her
- He has this ominous staredown with Laxus in the Aldoron arc, but ends up tied down in his underwear while the latter gets to have a serious fight with Erza instead

Kinda hard to take the guy seriously, but I'm curious if he's gonna have an actual hype victory in this arc

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
Gets taken out by Nineheart, and used a power-up GC to oneshot him
I disagree with this part. I don't think Jellal was ever taken out by Neinhart. I believe he fell unconscious due to that anchor that stuck him under water and consequently made his lungs fill with water. Kagura even gave him CPR afterwards. Jellal was completely uninjured from the attack and we've seen plenty of characters not getting KOd by hits but still taking damage from it.

Loke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are we really still debating whether the anchor or Neinhart is responsible? The flow of panels is quite clear. Neinhart blasts Jellal, and we next see him unconscious on the seafloor. No instances of him drowning are shown in the manga. Moreover, wasn't Kagura pinned under both his weight and the anchor? Did she not remove it herself to carry him to the surface? Sooo he's physically weaker than her?

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
unless some characters are a lot stronger than I think they him, Ezra and a power up Natsu are the only people around right now that would even stand a chance one on one against God Serena. (unless he’s defeated in a group fight)

the other opponents that could help his feats would be one of the sisters if their hype is reliable
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Are we really still debating whether the anchor or Neinhart is responsible? The flow of panels is quite clear. Neinhart blasts Jellal, and we next see him unconscious on the seafloor. No instances of him drowning are shown in the manga. Moreover, wasn't Kagura pinned under both his weight and the anchor? Did she not remove it herself to carry him to the surface? Sooo he's physically weaker than her?
now was she hit by it

the reason why I use the anchor argument is because what reason would Hiro have to put it in there.

Last edited:

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India

I think mostly people are disappointed here because he was very cool as a villain compared to the simp he is now. It has nothing to do with his exploits or his lack of exploits. But yeah the hatred against him whether from the fans or the author is way too strong.
Yeah, Jellal is a big disappointment, because he used to be good back in the days. As a villain, he was amongst the best in the series. But now he's a pathetical simp.

He soured on me back in the main series itself, specifically at around Alverass arc. Which is a shame, because Jellal embodies what is a "true mage" for me, amongst the main cast - an archmage with mastery in several magic.
But Mashima can't be bothered at all, dude knows all that magic but Mashima will keep having him spam grand chariot for the 100th time. SMH

That being said, he is way too downplayed by the fandom at this point.

Jellybean has become pretty comical for me as of late. He's portrayed like this serious and powerful edgelord, but the story just keeps clowning on him.

- He founded crime sorciere to help him take out Zeref, but doesn't even meet the guy.
- Gets taken out by Nineheart, and used a power-up GC to oneshot him, a feat matched by base Natsu's nameless punch
- An upgraded version of his ultimate attack gets oneshotted by Erza, who then continues on with that momentum and destroys the one who casted it
- He ends up hunting the white witch, but gets dispatched almost instantly when he found her
- He has this ominous staredown with Laxus in the Aldoron arc, but ends up tied down in his underwear while the latter gets to have a serious fight with Erza instead

Kinda hard to take the guy seriously, but I'm curious if he's gonna have an actual hype victory in this arc
Yeah, this is all true except for the Neinhart part though. Dude took no damage from the blast itself, fainted because he ingested too much water. Which is why he was back without a single scratch once the water was sucked out of him. If Jellal went down due to damage instead, then sucking out water from him wouldn't have mattered, would it?

With Jellal, it isn't that he has anti feats TBH. It's more of Mashima clowning on him all the time cause he thinks it's some "funny" ship moment.

The issue is that Jellal gets feats that are impressive on paper, but not really quantifiable.
- His feat of one shotting Neinhart was impressive when it happened, but then base Natsu one shotted Neinhart too lol. At this point, I'd consider him making Neinhart shit his pants by flexing his magic power a more impressive feat, since this implies that Jellal's magic power is on a different level from the "average Spriggan"
- His feat against Acnologia was impressive on paper, but we don't know how to quantify it because we know that a serious Acno would one shot him
- His feat against Gears is impressive on paper since the main Aldo seed implied Gears was the strongest seed apart from him. But again we don't know how to quantify this feat because other God seeds weren't really impressive either. One was taken out by fodders + Wendy, one was taken out by base Gray + Juvia.

But regardless, IMO the fact that Mashima wouldn't do Jellal vs Laxus, after teasing it multiple times in the series, does imply that he sees them as basically equal (as was implied constantly in the main series) and wouldn't know how to draw the fight because he wouldn't want either to win/lose. Just my interpretation, giving JelLol some benefit of doubt.

LaGOAT

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, Jellal is a big disappointment, because he used to be good back in the days. As a villain, he was amongst the best in the series. But now he's a pathetical simp.

He soured on me back in the main series itself, specifically at around Alverass arc. Which is a shame, because Jellal embodies what is a "true mage" for me, amongst the main cast - an archmage with mastery in several magic.
But Mashima can't be bothered at all, dude knows all that magic but Mashima will keep having him spam grand chariot for the 100th time. SMH

That being said, he is way too downplayed by the fandom at this point.

Yeah, this is all true except for the Neinhart part though. Dude took no damage from the blast itself, fainted because he ingested too much water. Which is why he was back without a single scratch once the water was sucked out of him. If Jellal went down due to damage instead, then sucking out water from him wouldn't have mattered, would it?

With Jellal, it isn't that he has anti feats TBH. It's more of Mashima clowning on him all the time cause he thinks it's some "funny" ship moment.

The issue is that Jellal gets feats that are impressive on paper, but not really quantifiable.
- His feat of one shotting Neinhart was impressive when it happened, but then base Natsu one shotted Neinhart too lol. At this point, I'd consider him making Neinhart shit his pants by flexing his magic power a more impressive feat, since this implies that Jellal's magic power is on a different level from the "average Spriggan"
- His feat against Acnologia was impressive on paper, but we don't know how to quantify it because we know that a serious Acno would one shot him
- His feat against Gears is impressive on paper since the main Aldo seed implied Gears was the strongest seed apart from him. But again we don't know how to quantify this feat because other God seeds weren't really impressive either. One was taken out by fodders + Wendy, one was taken out by base Gray + Juvia.

But regardless, IMO the fact that Mashima wouldn't do Jellal vs Laxus, after teasing it multiple times in the series, does imply that he sees them as basically equal (as was implied constantly in the main series) and wouldn't know how to draw the fight because he wouldn't want either to win/lose. Just my interpretation, giving JelLol some benefit of doubt.
Exactly he knows he doesn’t want to upset the fanbase so he decides to tease.

Again erza laxus and jellal on the same tier

But laxus and jellal on the same lvl (portrayal wise)

The fight with gears jellal seems to nerf himself because of his guilt and lack of confidence but after he got over it we saw what he is capable of

Hiro just use jellal as a gag character because he is erza’s love interest

Last edited:

Loke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Show proof.

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
@Jko don't worry jellal will take care of Erza. Nothing you can do to stop this ship. You can hate jellal all you want but he's going to smash that cheeks and erza going to take his seeds. Oh yeah before portrayals wise jellal=laxus. Nothing you can do to change this portrayals.
not that I believe in portrayals but since you like using portrayals to scale. Jellal s a solid laxus tier character. Lol complain all you want you can't change this facts

Last edited:

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Jko don't worry jellal will take care of Erza. Nothing you can do to stop this ship. You can hate jellal all you want but he's going to smash that cheeks and erza going to take his seeds. Oh yeah before portrayals wise jellal=laxus. Nothing you can do to change this portrayals.
not that I believe in portrayals but since you like using portrayals to scale. Jellal s a solid laxus tier character. Lol complain all you want you can't change this facts
Ain't no one was even scared to fight Jellal while everyone feared Laxus. So no, they do not have the same portrayal at all. Stare downs =/= portrayal or Sting would be as strong as Natsu and we all saw how that turned out lmao. Jellal is just fan hype at this point. He has zero impressive feats.

MyaHeart35

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ain't no one was even scared to fight Jellal while everyone feared Laxus. So no, they do not have the same portrayal at all. Stare downs =/= portrayal or Sting would be as strong as Natsu and we all saw how that turned out lmao. Jellal is just fan hype at this point. He has zero impressive feats.
Exactly. Jellal is overrated. Juvia, Erza and Laxus all put Laxus above Jellal. At first it's
Red lightning = Jellal now its
Thunder Dragon King Laxus = Jellal.

Laxus talking about Jellal, "he ain't that weak."

Ronin31

Reaction score
Country
France
The problem with current Grey and Jellal is that they have hype (Natsu's rival // respected as a tough guy by Laxus) but no feats to balance that.

I think Grey is a shame in the Quest and the shadow of himself. In Tartaros and the end of Arbaless, he was a beast.
I think the same for Jellal but since way past time.

Both characters currently can't be estimate as they did nothing in front of the other characters.

- By feats, even Lucy who "rivaled" Kyria, Skullion's tier (could die without Laxus' help but defeated her in 17 seconds just after) is way above Grey in performance.
- What did Jellal in the Quest to be compare with Laxus and Erza who are above BDSK ?

For both, hype >>>> feats. So, they need feats to be close or on par with their hype to be respect again.

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France

The problem with current Grey and Jellal is that they have hype (Natsu's rival // respected as a tough guy by Laxus) but no feats to balance that.

I think Grey is a shame in the Quest and the shadow of himself. In Tartaros and the end of Arbaless, he was a beast.
I think the same for Jellal but since way past time.

Both characters currently can't be estimate as they did nothing in front of the other characters.

- By feats, even Lucy who "rivaled" Kyria, Skullion's tier (could die without Laxus' help but defeated her in 17 seconds just after) is way above Grey in performance.
- What did Jellal in the Quest to be compare with Laxus and Erza who are above BDSK ?

For both, hype >>>> feats. So, they need feats to be close or on par with their hype to be respect again.
Hiro needs to bring Gray Jellal Mira and Gajeel back into the story and give them power ups and good on-screen fights. I'm sick of Natsu Erza Laxus and Wendy smoking the whole place. Is it normal for WENDY to fight a BDSK while Mira Jellal Gray and Gajeel are left in the dust? Eh ? This shit is so unfair I can't...

Last edited:

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hiro needs to bring Gray Jellal Mira and Gajeel back into the story and give them power ups and good on-screen fights. I'm sick of Natsu Erza Laxus and Wendy smoking the whole place. Is it normal for WENDY to fight a BDSK while Mira Jellal Gray and Gajeel are left in the dust? Eh ? This shit is so unfair I can't...
I can understand Hiro favoring Natsu over most characters most of the time because he’s the main character but there’s no reason for him to favor Ezra and Wendy over gray or Laxus over Mira. I don’t know where to put Jellal because he’s not part of FT yet at least

Nespi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hiro needs to bring Gray Jellal Mira and Gajeel back into the story and give them power ups and good on-screen fights. I'm sick of Natsu Erza Laxus and Wendy smoking the whole place.
Agree, but actually we want this. Mashima doesn't need this) And Jellal doesn't need power up. He is strong. We heared about this at last chapters. Gajeel just showed his limit again as we saw in his last battle with Natsu. What about Gray and Mira? Yes. They deserve better than this. Especially Gray because:
1. Mira didn't lose to Skullion
2. Mashima didn't said Mira weaker than someone
3. Mashima said Gray is Natsu's rival but we don't see this