Discussion - Is Ymir.... "The" Ymir? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is Ymir.... "The" Ymir?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think the title is self explanatory. Given the circumstances it wouldn't be that strange if Ymir somehow managed to be the Ymir that started it all. Not to mention that there is something off about the history that Grisha told his companions. He couldn't actually read most of the texts which means a significant portion of it is likely inaccurate. ANy thoughts? It wouldn't be weird if Ymir was kept in a crystal or something...

POW

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No shes probably not considering Ymir Fritz lived 2000 years ago and passed her power down to 9 titans.

Our Ymir probably was named in her honor.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Should be worth pointing out:
Eldian Restoration Movement called themselves "People of Ymir" calling her "Mother" and "God".

That Titan in Ilse's Extra Chapter thought Ilse was Ymir, bowing to her and mentioned "Ymir's People" along with "Great". (Unless that was a mistranslation)

There should be a connection there, especially when considering that members of the group ended up as Titans on the Island.

Last edited:

Battou

⎲⎳
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Should be worth pointing out:
Eldian Restoration Movement called themselves "Ymir's People".

That Titan in Ilse's Extra Chapter thought Ilse was Ymir and mentioned "Ymir's People".

There should be a connection there.
There is

All eldian restoration movement members were turned into mindless titans

This guy is this titan

Or so we believe

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know.

I'm saying the members worshipped Ymir.
It's very possible that it was one of the members considering what it said.
And if it was one of the members, then it makes sense why he would bow down to their "Mother"/"Goddess".

The question then is: How does it know?
There is no way we can speak of a coincidence in regards to that scene and the flashback of Grisha.
People thought Ymir's people were some tribe or another settlement.
But now we know Ymir's People were an Eldian Movement worshipping an ancient titan across the sea.

Either way:
Ilse strongly resembles Ymir, the girl always with Historia and is a shifter.
Yet, it's actions refer to that it was referring to the goddess the movement worshipped.
And even then, how high are the odds that it's mere chance both are called Ymir? I dare say zero.

That's why I claim that there must be a connection between Goddess Ymir and the Ymir we know.

Last edited:

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible she chose the name Ymir herself.

Also Ymir Fritz is like Kaguya (Naruto) and her power in some way was passed down to all 9 titans each getting a fraction of abilities like Crystal-hardening , Armor, Coordinate titan control etc. I don't think we will be seeing her again but we may learn that the real story is some what different that what both sides have heard.

The true memories are in Eren.

vijayveluri03

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
It's possible she chose the name Ymir herself.

Also Ymir Fritz is like Kaguya (Naruto) and her power in some way was passed down to all 9 titans each getting a fraction of abilities like Crystal-hardening , Armor, Coordinate titan control etc. I don't think we will be seeing her again but we may learn that the real story is some what different that what both sides have heard.

The true memories are in Eren.
Nicely pointed out that the true memory is actually in Eren himself. But he might not be able to access it directly as he isn't Fritz. May be Christa or Zeke help him.

requiem46

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Eren should totally pat Ymir in the back and check to see some memories.

but seriously, I believe she is "the" Ymir mentioned there, especially with all the pride she took in her own name when raging at Crista:

To me, that sounds like she's proud of who she is, because screw the people who betrayed her/made profit out of her death. As to how the hell is she alive now, or why did the eldian guy recognize her (or rather, mistook her for Ilse)... That I have no clue. Perhaps we'll find out something about it in the next chapter

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not so sure that she is proud, it's more like she is owning who she was.

Super Sonic

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is also possible that the titan that killed Ilse isn't the revolutionary that Grisha talked to here (they are similar but the hair styles are significantly different; the revolutionary had a widow's peak).

It is very possible that titans have been occupying that island since the beginning of the Age of Titans. It would be the only deterrent keeping the island from being colonized by people of Marley or other Eldians trying to get an edge with its resources.

That also makes it possible that they very first "People of Ymir", for some reason, were turned into titans and sent there to roam for as long as the sun exists. Someone who lived during the time that Ymir was alive could have mistaken Ilse for her. When Ilse kept her questions, it slowly eroded the doubts since the real Ymir would already know the information that Ilse was asking and proceeded to kill her.

Beleth

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a huge possibility that they are the same person.
Ymir can also read ancient language (in chapter 38).

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Well the recent chapter stated that Ymir was given the name by a peeson who adopted her for his own benefit.She was seen as a hope for Eldian Restoration movement.

So the Titan who said Ilse "Ymir Sama" probably thought she was Ymir from 60 yrs ago as Titans don't die due to aging.So it's clear in my humble opinion she doesn't have any connection with Ymir Fritz.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, the chapter would conclusively prove ymir is not the original ymir from god knows how long ago. She would be just a random girl from 60 years ago. I guess the big question is how this relates to the history of the wall. Given the timeline ymir would have been placed in this position relatively close to when the king deserted and secluded himself. There might be some interesting perspectives there....