Discussion - Is gaming mouse is important for online gaming? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is gaming mouse is important for online gaming?

raiso

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I play online game to much and I am a crazy game. I seen many review like gaming mouse and they recommend gaming mouse for online game. Did you used gaming mouse before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Well I used to have a Steelseries mouse a few years back when playing CS. But I don't really think its all that important (unless you're playing in a tournament or something like that).

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I currently am using a Razer Deathadder Elite - but I do agree that there is no real need for a gaming mouse.

If anything, I tend to find gaming mice (even/especially the current one I have) to be too light for me - even with the added weight that most allow you to use.

When I used to play CS properly (in LAN tournaments), I would use a really shitty metal mouse. Shitty, as in it was most certainly not a gaming mouse - but I'd play much better with it than the mice designed for gaming.

Unless you are trying to play with a trackball, or something, I feel that it is far better to get used to the feel of a mouse (gaming or not) than waste money on an expensive mouse - which, in all likelihood, will not improve your abilities in any discernible way.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I use a Logitech g502 Proteus Core. Easily the best mouse I've ever owned or used.

The requirement question is a iffy issue. It's different for everyone. Sure, you could get by with a $15 bargain bin mouse, but if you're able to invest in something a bit more expensive with more features, customization, better construction, there's no reason not to IMO.

Reactions: syx

**Silver**

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
only noobs with no skill use expensive gaming mouses,there is no difference between normal mouse and gaming mouse....

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
only noobs with no skill use expensive gaming mouses,there is no difference between normal mouse and gaming mouse....
Nice b8 m8, I r8 8/8

Even if it ends up making no difference for the person using it as far as outcome goes, better ergonomic design is vastly underrated.

Ah, so you are also attracted to mice
I got mine before the RGB version came out :gnut (you're fancier than me, obviously)

Reactions: syx

TrienDarkform

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I haven't looked at the lastest crop of mice, so can't really say what's good or not these days, but being a fairly hardcore gamer, I am pretty picky about my mice. So, a few thoughts, ranked from most important to least:

1. Ergonomics - very important, has got to be comfortable especially if one ends up playing for a long time
2. Sensor - if you're into shooters, get something with a good sensor. If not, then it won't matter so much. Some of the bad ones will have weird tracking such that it'll do stuff like if you're moving near horizontal but not quite, it'll turn it horizontal for you--not a big deal if you're navigating menus, messes up your aim if you're trying to actually move at a slight angle.
3. Extra buttons - useful back in my MMO days. Don't use them much at all now that I don't play MMO's anymore.
4. Macros and other software features - handy, but not really a big deal IMO. At the most, I'd just use it to remap a mouse button to a keypress, and if I needed anything more complicated, I'd rather write an AHK script instead.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm very picky about my gaming mice.

In terms of how important it is to be an actual "gaming mouse". My answer would be not very. That's kind of just a title sellers give stuff. What really matters is how it feels and how well it works. So with that in mind my suggestions while mice shopping would be.

#1: Do NOT use a wireless mouse (just in general, really).

I'm sure people do but for gaming you want responsiveness and wireless mice do not do that. No matter how expensive a wireless mouse is or what it can do there is going to be input lag because wired is simply faster than wireless. I mean, even if you owned the fastest car in the world would it matter if the speed limit was 25 miles an hour?

#2: Find one that feels right for you

Your going to be spending hundreds of hours with this thing in your hand. So make sure it feels right. What "right" is varies from person to person. It depends on the size of your hands. Whether your left or right handed(which effects which side of the mouse you want extra buttons to be on). Even how heavy or light you want it to be.

#3: Figure out how many buttons you want

I personally never use more than 6. Any more than that is what the keyboard is for, IMO. But some people like 10 or more. It's all personal preference. Aim to get whatever suits you.

#4: Don't overpay

There are some advantages in more expensive mice but those are really fairly negligible. I use a $40 Logitech G300s. It's an ambidextrous mouse, even though I'm right handed, which I like because I prefer having buttons on both sides of a mouse. It's fantastic for my tastes. And works flawlessly for gaming.

Last edited:

TrienDarkform

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I use a $40 Logitech G300s. It's an ambidextrous mouse, even though I'm right handed, which I like because I prefer having buttons on both sides of a mouse. It's fantastic for my tastes. And works flawlessly for gaming.
G400 here. :) I went from MX500 to MX518 to G400 ... really like that particular form factor, I guess.

Wow, prices on remaining stock of the G400 have gone way up since they discontinued the model, it looks like O_o

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Zowie's mice (the FK, EC and ZA series) are the best for FPS games such as CS GO or OW imo.