Original Work - I made a manga oneshot. Would be glad to receive some feedback(=´∇`=) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Original Work I made a manga oneshot. Would be glad to receive some feedback(=´∇`=)

junchan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hey guys!

I'm a aspiring manga artist who posted an own manga oneshot on Medibang's website about one month ago - click It's a submission for the Weekly Shonen Magazine Contest that is currently held by Medibang and Kodansha. Since I don't think I'm really gonna win, but still want to improve myself to make better manga in the future, I'd be glad to receive some opinions from you guys about the art and story! (Actually I submitted another oneshot as well, though this one is almost a year old. I feel like the story of this one is a bit better while the art is definitely worse, maybe someone is interested in it as well?? click)

Making original manga is my jam, so excuse me while I'm gonna explore this sub forums a bit more (=´∇`=)

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I just came across that thread by chance (too bad i don't often visit art section considering the great stuff there's in it), and i have to say I'm absolutely amazed by your work :zomg, i don't know so much about mangas but based on my little knowledge I can say i really liked your art
as for storytelling, it's hard to tell in a 12 pgs/work, but im sure you can come with something amazing judging from the exposition. And yes definitely try all manga constests you can, your work deserves to be noticed and aknowledged, keep it this way !

junchan

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Aww thank you, that's so nice! I'm currently working on a manga that's hopefully gonna have more than one chapter, let's see how this turns out in terms of storytelling haha - now that I know there's actually people on this site seeing my work, I'll definitely post it here as well once I've finished it(=´ ∇`=)

PaperKnights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am highkey screamin iTS SO GOOD LISTN IT'S 4 IN THE MORNIN AND IM GON LEAVE THIS REPLY HERE UNTIL I WAKE UP AGAIN AND THROW THIS THREAD ALL THE THINGS

junchan

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I am highkey screamin iTS SO GOOD LISTN IT'S 4 IN THE MORNIN AND IM GON LEAVE THIS REPLY HERE UNTIL I WAKE UP AGAIN AND THROW THIS THREAD ALL THE THINGS
I'M ALSO SCREAMING THANK YOU

PaperKnights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love the concepts and the execution. Just. It's amazing, ur amazing. /throws marshmallows

It's well-written enough that I could honestly cry. You are so quality I could cry. I am sobbin' from my lil room in Hong Kong eating melon puccho. You write so well?? I mean I'm coming from the world where you find the most horribly executed gary stu manga published in mainstream magazines but. Even if most things on the market were #Quality, I would still find your concepts really intriguing? You also have a great sense of humour?

And if Phuka was only a year before Film Noir I'm here like. My friend. You have exceptional skill and hard work and I am screamin' even more high key you are life goals !!

I almost wanna ask if you'd allow me to write fanfiction based on your concept (with credit bc i mean fanfiction). Lmao xD

also wait on the art; ur amateur art is a step above many published authors in mainstream magazines sO LMAO
(ur art itself is so amaze) (and ur panels are great???)
(like askjdfskafdksa) (the only flaw i see is that you learned to draw from manga and not rl?? with manga references, i presume???) (which is why your anatomy can still improve but like) (like) (i am eyein' u and im like shouldn't u be published already) (tHIS IS LIKE BETTER EXECUTED THAN A LOTTA THE SHONEN JUMP SHIZ) (WHAT U DOIN' BEIN AN AMATEUR)
(SCREECHES)

(r u sure ur an amateur)

(lmao i'm currently miring myself in debt otherwise i'd ask if you had a website or a patreon or paypal and throw my money at you) (/whispers do u have a tumblr friend)

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
What a wonderful style you have @junchan :amuse

I love the art, and the plot too. Though the language you use can be a little stiff or awkward at times. I haven't got the steadiest of hands for drawing, but if you want someone to PR for you I would be glad to help.

PaperKnights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahhhh, what @WithYouInSpirit said!! I proofread and edit for friends as a hobby, RL and online, so I have some experience with that.
(lmao if you ever need a typesetter either- I did a crash course in typesetting (with a no-nonsense sorta mentor) and I know the full basics, and if not typesetting I could definitely offer you some advice on how to typeset)

(also omg i see u so often @WithYouInSpirit what is this) (screeches)

junchan

Reaction score
Country
Austria
AHHH I'M DEAD, I FEEL SO FLUSTERED RN;;;
Honestly I have no words, but I'll try to respond to everything anyway,,,

I almost wanna ask if you'd allow me to write fanfiction based on your concept (with credit bc i mean fanfiction). Lmao xD
Oh gosh that'd be so amazing !! If you really do, please let me know, getting fanwork for your stuff is literally the best thing that can happen to any manga artist ;A;

(like askjdfskafdksa) (the only flaw i see is that you learned to draw from manga and not rl?? with manga references, i presume???)
Yeah you're totally right haha,, though I'm currently taking life drawing classes, so I hope I'll improve soon!

(i am eyein' u and im like shouldn't u be published already) (tHIS IS LIKE BETTER EXECUTED THAN A LOTTA THE SHONEN JUMP SHIZ) (WHAT U DOIN' BEIN AN AMATEUR)
I'M SCREAMING THANK YOU
The problem with getting my work out there is that I'm from Austria where there's like. no manga industry at all? I mean, I could go the extra mile and send my stuff to publishers in Germany, but I highly doubt they'd consider publishing it since almost every german manga they publish is either romance or BL. Most german manga artists only draw and thus also buy BL stuff, that's why the publishers here don't really wanna publish anything else I think??
So I decided to try it with international contests, but of course that means much more and much better competitors. This is one of the mangas that won the Shonen Jump+ contest a year ago and I think you can see the difference lmao, this is just much more professional in terms of artstyle and storytelling,,,,

(lmao i'm currently miring myself in debt otherwise i'd ask if you had a website or a patreon or paypal and throw my money at you) (/whispers do u have a tumblr friend)
Thank you so much,, I do have a tumblr but I mainly post scribbles and shipping fanart I don't wanna post anywhere else there lol
I also have a dA where I post all of my full colored artwork stuff though !!

I love the art, and the plot too. Though the language you use can be a little stiff or awkward at times. I haven't got the steadiest of hands for drawing, but if you want someone to PR for you I would be glad to help.
That'd be amazing omg! I'm far from being fluent in English and it's really bugging me, but I just haven't found anyone who agreed to proofread for me. I'd be so glad if I could get help from you guys! <3

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sure :amuse
You can PM me here on Mangahelpers with details if you want me to PR for you regularly (When I'm available) or I have Discord / Skype as well.

junchan

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Atm I have nothing that needs to be proofread, but I'll PM you when I'm working on something again if that's fine for you c:

Shadilay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm blown away. "Amateur" shouldn't be anywhere near this work. The art is fantastic, and the exposition is as fleshed out as can be in the short space you had.

Amazing job. I would love to take a look at your other work!