Seinen - I Am a Hero by HANAZAWA Kengo | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen I Am a Hero by HANAZAWA Kengo

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I read the very first chapter, Do you think I should continue reading this manga? From previous comments, It seems some parts of it are disappointing, how good is this manga in general?
I would not call any of it disappointing. The beginning is purposely slow, by the end of volume 1 the pace picks up. Hanazawa is one of the best active mangaka, the writing and art are incredible from beginning to end.

It's worth your time.
All of Hanazawa's manga are worth reading. Now that I am a Hero is caught up I hope that fans try Boys on the Run and Ressentiment.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I actually liked the first 2 volumes best so far, but volumes 7-8 had a very nice Resident Evil/Dawn of the Dead atmosphere.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The way he staged volume 1 was brilliant. The gap in Edited Mangas made it even better, I really did not see the zombies coming when the full volume was finally scanlted. So far volume two and three were my favorites, I did like the action in the last two volumes. I'm curious where he is going to go with this, what caused the zombies and what role that weird hikikomori from the internet will play.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Not really my favorite volume, but still glad to be reading this again. It's interesting that that Kazu dude from the beginning seemed to be on a research trip for Hideo's serialization. At least that's what the journal entry implied. The rest of the volume was kind of slow. Basically, they just came to the conclusion that hospitals are dangerous and got some food. Interaction between Hideo and Tsugumi was good though. Well, now I can't wait for volume 10, which won't be out for a while...

Last edited:

haet

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan
this manga sucks go read boys on the run (slight exaggeration)
I haven't read this manga since volume 4, but this is the slightly exaggerated version of my opinion too

I mean, I appreciate that the guy is trying to do something different rather than just keep working the same material ad nauseam, but this manga just wasn't working for me. I'll no doubt read it once it finishes, though

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Volume 10 is scheduled for release in Japan on Tuesday. Hopefully that means we get new Edited Mangas sometime in November, December at latest.

---------- Post added November 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was October 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM ----------

Volume 10 is out and available from Illuminati's IRC channel. I'll probably read it tomorrow.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Volume ten was fantastic in my opinion.

I loved the viewpoint of Hitomi and the hallucinations she experiences. But all of that gets overshadowed by the arrival of Kurusu and his group. I loved that we have Hideo in one corner having his own inner and outer struggle to become a hero while in the other corner, cowardly Ezaki is saved by actual heroes. I hope the two groups interact which I'm almost sure they will.

Also, I loved how Hanazawa portrays that internet forum. It's strikingly realistic.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I really could do without those extended message board scenes.

trap25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
volume 11 please...

Magjee

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just blazed through all 11 volumes, great stuff.

Cant wait for 12 ><

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Volume 12 is out and it was pretty awesome. Lots of interesting, weird and maybe a little confusing stuff going on.

First off, I'm a little curious about the cover. Is that like a wooly mammoth leg encased in amber? Perhaps that's a clue to where the zombie virus came from. A prehistoric virus preserved in mammoth bone, unleashed upon humanity when it was unearthed?

Then the big thing about this volume was the Kurusu is seemingly an evolved zombie. Or rather, an evolved human caused by the zombie virus. He's got enhanced physical abilities, and the zombies didn't attack him. The same thing happened to Takashi and The Naked Emperor. Hiromi might be one too. She seemed to be coming to her senses in the last chapter and Hideo didn't bother to restrain her at all. I bet Hideo gets a zombie power up later in the manga.

I also wonder about those zombie dens. They weren't attacking anyone at all. Maybe they are like a place for zombies to rest or something.

And I'm a little confused about the part where Kowashi said "Takashi...no Kurusu". Did Takashi kill the old Kurusu and become the new one? He has Takashi's mask, but long hair like the old Kurusu and the healed wounds kind of match up with the old Kurusu's from the fight. How would Takashi's hair grow so fast? The zombie enhancement? His face that we can see does look a little different. I guess we will find out this Winter.

Last edited:

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
First off, I'm a little curious about the cover. Is that like a wooly mammoth leg encased in amber? Perhaps that's a clue to where the zombie virus came from. A prehistoric virus preserved in mammoth bone, unleashed upon humanity when it was unearthed?

Then the big thing about this volume was the Kurusu is seemingly an evolved zombie. Or rather, an evolved human caused by the zombie virus. He's got enhanced physical abilities, and the zombies didn't attack him. The same thing happened to Takashi and The Naked Emperor. Hiromi might be one too. She seemed to be coming to her senses in the last chapter and Hideo didn't bother to restrain her at all. I bet Hideo gets a zombie power up later in the manga.

I also wonder about those zombie dens. They weren't attacking anyone at all. Maybe they are like a place for zombies to rest or something.

And I'm a little confused about the part where Kowashi said "Takashi...no Kurusu". Did Takashi kill the old Kurusu and become the new one? He has Takashi's mask, but long hair like the old Kurusu and the healed wounds kind of match up with the old Kurusu's from the fight. How would Takashi's hair grow so fast? The zombie enhancement? His face that we can see does look a little different. I guess we will find out this Winter.
I do believe it's Takashi. Hence, he beat the two Kurusus. And the long hair thing, I think you're right. It was actually hinted in that one panel where Kurusu (original) showed Takashi the head of the girl. His hair sort of stood up (like a Saiyan lol) in rage. And it'll be quite a coincident that those two Kurusu's both have long hair.

Anyways, the whole volume was crazy and good. That mini arc was so enjoyable I almost forgot about Hideo and co. It seems the story will go back to them next volume. Can't wait.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Okay, after discussing the volume with my (two) friends over Facebook...

I asked what they thought about the zombfags in the den being all passive and behave. Someone shared his idea that they were all, in some way, tamed by the naked emperor.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I asked what they thought about the zombfags in the den being all passive and behave. Someone shared his idea that they were all, in some way, tamed by the naked emperor.
That makes sense since Kurusu was able to put his arms around two zombies as they were attacking Takashi and they didn't bat an eyelash. These evolved zombie/humans or whatever you want to call them may be some sort of "alpha zombie" that can exert some sort of control over the mindless zombies.

And they did find some of the Naked Emperor's smashed up zombies in one room, so maybe he just coralled them into rooms so he could kill them later?

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
No doubt Takashi became the new Kurusu, or more like he already was. The Naked Emperor already said that "You are Kurusu as well", so it seems they refer to every evolved human as Kurusu (Den of Madness). It looks like in exchange for becoming considerably stronger and sturdy they loose all their emotions, as you could see by Kurusu (the original one) questioning Tomabecchi about what it means "to like someone". Kurusu killing Takeshi's love probably triggered his awakening, he seemed to go totally mad (and his hair went up lol) when he saw the severed head. Before he still had normal human emotions in him, like when the school building reminded him of the time he was bullied or when he thought of the girl, but on the last page it looks like he really became the new Kurusu, totally void of emotions.

@Matt I think the same. Like the Naked Emperor said, he kills everyone who seems to be above him in social standing, so he probably went through the school to look for such guys/girls - the ones he slaughters at the place the group was at.

Besides all that analyzing, great volume! I am a Hero never fails to deliver, the revelation of the evolved humans was a really good move. How the three fought was so weird and creepy. Now I wonder what Takashi, the new Kurusu, actually wants. The Naked Emperor only wanted to destroy the ones above him in standing, while the old Kurusu obviously just wanted entertainment, mainly through fights. Seeing how Takashi/Kurusu wants to head to Tokyo he must have some kind of specific goal there.
Oh, I really want the next volume now! :XD

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Now I wonder what Takashi, the new Kurusu, actually wants. The Naked Emperor only wanted to destroy the ones above him in standing, while the old Kurusu obviously just wanted entertainment, mainly through fights. Seeing how Takashi/Kurusu wants to head to Tokyo he must have some kind of specific goal there.
Oh, I really want the next volume now! :XD
Based solely on the fact that he got a crush on that girl really quick and her death is what possibly pushed him to evolve, I'm going to guess that he wants to go to Tokyo to find a girlfriend. That may sound silly, but I think these evolved zombies retain one major driving force from when they were normal. The original Kurusu was a shut-in IIRC, so his enjoyment of fights probably comes from the need to entertain himself while being a hermit. Perhaps stemming from heavy video gaming. And The Naked Emperor said something about girls looking down on him before he changed, so in his evolved form, he tried to kill anyone he thought above him.

So I theorize that Takashi-Kurusu will go to Tokyo....and find Hiromi! He will try to make Hiromi his girlfriend(I also theorized earlier that Hiromi is also an evolved zombie). Of course, Hideo will try to protect her and it will turn into quite a mess.

Reactions: Nii

Magjee

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Another awesome installment.

Takashi is definitely the new Kurusu, I had to jump back to when the head is thrown at him and look at the image to notice his hair changing.

Also nice to see Hiromi waking up.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Chapters 144-146....Please tell me someone else has read them. Wow, I don't even....these new "things" are sick in the best and worst kind of way. Plus the dude's story (is he English?) was pretty touching.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Chapters 144-146....Please tell me someone else has read them. Wow, I don't even....these new "things" are sick in the best and worst kind of way. Plus the dude's story (is he English?) was pretty touching.
I thought those human centipedes were just hallucinations brought on by his turning into a zombie. Kind of like how we saw some weird imagery from Hiromi's point of view. Pretty sure he was French.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Ah shit you're probably right ....ha and here I was ready to lose my mind. Ok yeah French, I saw the end credits and wasn't sure. Those were some wicked hallucinations lol

Unholy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I tried to get into this story and while there are some really good elements i just cant deal with the insane amount of stupidity and ignorance displayed by every single non infected human. That really just killed this story for me... sucks cause it looks like a pretty good series.