HxH..... Flat earth? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

HxH..... Flat earth?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
A while back (In story) we learned from Gin that the world is substantially different from what we would have thought. We learned that the world is much bigger than what people at large know due to an improbably succesful conspiracy to keep the truth from people. Manipulated marine and air routes, silenced people... all that stuff.

Now.... this is actually similar to many real life insane conspiracy theories. Specifically, some flat earth conspiracy theories which of course involve pretty much all of that. There are also some flat earth conspiracy theories that claim the south pole is largely a wall around the world... and beyond that there is a vast expanse of earth with things unknown to us.

So... could the planet in HxH actually be flat? Er, if that can even be called a planet... Clearly the world is immensely larger than we can imagine (it apparently at least one fully grown world tree) and the setting is basically one where a ridiculous conspiracy theory worked. Add to that how this fits into flat earth conspiracy theories....

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
It's round!

Also I don't see it as some kind of conspiracy. It's more like ancient history, where people didn't knew what lies beyond the sea. So you make the idea that everything ends there.
In this world only a few people know that information and pretty much you die if you want to go there so the info is pretty much useless to the average folk.

lulukaruins

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
I don't think it's round or flat. But the 'moebius' concept should come to mind. Have you read this

I'm not sure about new dimension, but if the guide is needed, it is possible that it's something magical... Maybe. Either way I believe it's something else, hence the lake/world they known is called moebius lake.

duerlin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The world is flat while the real world is round. Many conspiracy theories used by flat earth believers are probably implemented in HxH human world in order to hide that "everything" is just a lake. Our world could be the same. So yeah, Togashi is playing with those conspiracy theories =)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's round!

Also I don't see it as some kind of conspiracy. It's more like ancient history, where people didn't knew what lies beyond the sea. So you make the idea that everything ends there.
In this world only a few people know that information and pretty much you die if you want to go there so the info is pretty much useless to the average folk.
It absolutely IS a conspiracy. In the story it is revealed that the world's governments are manipulating information along with airplane and boat routes to create and perpetuate the idea that the world is much smaller than the population at large knows.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
It absolutely IS a conspiracy. In the story it is revealed that the world's governments are manipulating information along with airplane and boat routes to create and perpetuate the idea that the world is much smaller than the population at large knows.
You can't get to the dc with natural ocean currents, that was explained. You'll never make it if you a normal guy in a boat.. That's not a conspiracy.. xd
Same will go with air routes. you'll get to a point where you can't advance.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
You can't get to the dc with natural ocean currents, that was explained. You'll never make it if you a normal guy in a boat.. That's not a conspiracy.. xd
Same will go with air routes. you'll get to a point where you can't advance.
that has nothing to do with my point. My point is the information restrictions around this. The series' talks about how information about the outer world is largely classified and unavailable to the public, what little there is of course. It's not about the physical limitations, its about schools not teaching this and boat and airplane routes being faked to hide the reality. Even now with a gigantic whale shaped ship full of people you have that humanity at large has been deceived about the nature of the voyage. And regarding airplane and boat routes, the issue is specifically that they are faked for humanity at large. Yes, there are inherent physical limitations to how far humanity can travel anyways BUT that has exactly nothing to do with my point.

mrsticky005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the HxH world is one where the very nature of it will remain a mystery
and that is how it should be. HxH is not about the destination but the journey.
I doubt even Togashi knows the answers because the whole point of HxH is the hunt.

I feel like Togashi's world is a commentary on our own world where we think we are all experts because of things we read or heard or watched of OTHER people doing or at least saying they have done but then we get depressed because our own lives feel empty.
Characters like Gon, Ging and Beyond Netero are the personification of the pioneer spirit. I feel like if Gon was real he would grab our hand and be like "What are you doing being so mopey? We got a whole world to explore!"

That is why I love HxH.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
If the map of HxH world was put on a globe, it may as well have one entire hemisphere covered by water and the other hemisphere covered by land.

It's also possible there's a "ring" of land around the globe. Which sounds too much like One Piece world...