Hangout - Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02] | Page 117 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02]

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Does somebody remember since the last chapter how many of these we had? I just to guess how many chapters we will see this time.
??? He is drawing Chapter 405.

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
401: Completed
402-404: Drafts presumably done (unknown where they are in terms of inking and assistant work)
405: Currently drafting (on page 5)

I've seen some people get a little too hyped, like they did after the two tweets last year, and we saw how that went. :P It could still be a year before any of this is published, unfortunately. Hard to know since we still don't have a clue about the release method.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Oh, we are back to the daily tweets.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And he is drawing the 7th page so he drew two yesterday?

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wonder how he approaches this. Are the assistants drawing under his specifications? Does he just put the text? Is he insisting on drawing some of the panels?
I wanna know.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I wonder how he approaches this. Are the assistants drawing under his specifications? Does he just put the text? Is he insisting on drawing some of the panels?
I wanna know.
You just mean in general? As with most mangaka, it depends on the specific page and how many backgrounds/details there are.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States

free image hosting site

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

You just mean in general? As with most mangaka, it depends on the specific page and how many backgrounds/details there are.
I know my mangaka homies draw some DOPE backgrounds but it's still a pain drawing them.

Microsoft Word is Bond.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I know my mangaka homies draw some DOPE backgrounds but it's still a pain drawing them.
To be clear, in pretty much every manga, anytime you see a detailed background, it was done either by assistants or, especially nowadays, with the use of digital tools. It's one of those misconceptions where people see a ridiculously detailed background and then use it to tout the mangaka's skill as an artist, even though it's very unlikely that they actually drew it (some recent examples are OPM and Dandadan).

Last edited:

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I wanna know.
I answered this in another thread so i'm just copying that:

Here's an example of what togashi most likely does per page (inside green)

Of course this changes from page to page, but a lot of mangakas do this flow of work: drawing main characters/objects and let the assistants do the background, tones, action lines, background characters, etc.

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
To add a little more light to this topic, here you can really tell the difference between Togashi current style (green) vs assistant (pink)
Even the weight of the lines are pretty different, you can check the other background characters as well but the lady is closer and it's more obvious.

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be clear, in pretty much every manga, anytime you see a detailed background, it was done either by assistants or, especially nowadays, with the use of digital tools. It's one of those misconceptions where people see a ridiculously detailed background and then use it to tout the mangaka's skill as an artist, even though it's very unlikely that they actually drew it (some recent examples are OPM and Dandadan).
Do you think any mangaka are using "AI Art" in their backgrounds? I mean if they are I imagine there's probably still a bit of photoshopping going on maybe
but even though there's all this backlash against "AI Art" and some of it seems to make sense, I just find it really hard to imagine that mangaka who are on a
tight schedule wouldn't employ it in a similar way that some mangaka used edited photography for the backgrounds.
Would it replace assistants? I think yes and no. I think yes in the sense of every element of a manga panel actually being drawn by a human hand.
But I also think no because I can't imagine manga artists and their assistants just being fine with whatever a computer makes and not wanting to add their
own personal touch to it.

Drawing my own comic and doing literally everything myself is a pain and I wish I was able to hire artists and the thought of using "AI Art" has occurred to me
but honestly to get the exact results that I want without having to spend money it actually seems MORE difficult then just drawing it myself or trying to.
Text prompt to image seems really frustrating to me because I often don't have the words to describe something just often a foggy disjointed idea.
It just doesn't seem very fun to be arguing with a computer although to be fair there can be a lot of arguing between humans too. I just feel like with humans
there develops a bit of intuitive communication that I don't believe machine learning has been able to reach and I am doubtful that it ever will.
I also feel like assistants are good not simply as a "draw some trees so I can chill and smoke tree" but also y'all could be blazing and bouncing ideas off
each other.