Character - Emma Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Emma Thread

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Emma '63194' Thread

This thread is for Emma's character discussion, and theories/predictions you might have for her.​

Emma is the heart of the super trio (Ray, Norman, Emma). She's not quite as intelligent as those 2 guys, but she's close. And her physical ability is the best in the group. Her over-optimism with the trying to escape with all the kids is foolish, but also admirable. I like the interactions between her and Ray.

It's implied that Emma could be groomed by Isabella to be a Mama (by Krone). Should this actually become an intention of Isabella's, then maybe Mama will try to break Emma's spirit and naivety.

Last edited:

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I have a feeling Mama is planning to pull this trope on her and then make her mama.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have a feeling Mama is planning to pull this trope on her and then make her mama.

It is a big question why mama would think Emma makes a good mama and actively supports her being so fond of her siblings.

At first i thought it'd make more sense to raise emma like ray so she can become a good mama.

But now i think differently: Mama let's Emma train the skills of empathy and being relateable for other people (a trait Gilda does not personify that well and ray and Norman could not do ever).
That is the most important thing. She seems to trust the 'Mama academy' that they will break Emma and Emma will be subdued by the chip planted into her heart eventually.

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I just want to see her finally snap.
The few glimpses we have had of that (vs ray and krone) were magnificientlly draw.
I second what @shionoro said

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Hmm, interesting idea, it could work.
Somehow however, I could get behind this at the beginning of the series, where Emma was portrayed as the young and naive girl who was just content with following behind Naruto and Sasuke Emma and Norman, but ever since the plan was put into motion, I feel as if she's really grown out of being a bystander and even takes the center stage at times (like when she and Gilda discovered Mama's secret room, plus the Morse Code stuff)
If anyone is going to be broken by that trope, imo it's Gilda. She really has no business taking part in an operation like that.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I want to see more of emma and Norman, I feel like she will become the center of the group if the kids leave the farm and of course once that happens and Ray and Norman´s secret talks get exposed, she will be the leader of the group.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
So, with the most recent chapter's revelation of Ray being alive, I think there's something about Emma that most people haven't quite noticed yet, which I would say is a good thing, at least in a world like Neverland where it's a never ending series of people one upping each other time and time again.
With both Norman and Ray, they are both smart yes, but, there's a limit to how much they can plan and organize stuff. The limit here is that they aren't exactly willing to go the extra mile to ensure their plans succeed. They can plan and plan, but their plans will always have little to no risks at all. Which means once they are pushed to the wall, they just abandon ship altogether, and decide to make another plan. In a way, it can be referred to as 'playing smart', but it tends to be too idealistic and relies on external factors more than internal ones, which is why more often than not, their plans end up failing.
With Emma however, she's a little different from the other two, in the sense that once she decides on something, she sees it through till the end. She isn't even afraid of taking risks, even if they come at the cost of her own safety. As shown by:
She acted completely on impulse here, and didn't care whether or not her hands would be burnt. Even if Ray had resolved to let himself die.
There were also two other scenarios beforehand:
An event that led to her leg being broken. But, she did manage to buy a little time for Norman to advance. He was just the one who couldn't bear to see Emma hurt, so Isabella acted on Norman's weakness.
Now, this third one is a little unique, in the sense that, she did manage to dissuade Norman for a little. Isabella was the one who intervened in time and reminded him what was at stake. Regardless however, if Isabella wasn't there, I fully believe Norman would have chosen to remain behind according to Emma's wishes.
So in a way, you can suggest that Emma acting impulsively, or rashly, has borne more fruits than whenever Ray or Norman intricately plan for something.
Thoughts on this?

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
So, with the most recent chapter's revelation of Ray being alive, I think there's something about Emma that most people haven't quite noticed yet, which I would say is a good thing, at least in a world like Neverland where it's a never ending series of people one upping each other time and time again.
With both Norman and Ray, they are both smart yes, but, there's a limit to how much they can plan and organize stuff. The limit here is that they aren't exactly willing to go the extra mile to ensure their plans succeed. They can plan and plan, but their plans will always have little to no risks at all. Which means once they are pushed to the wall, they just abandon ship altogether, and decide to make another plan. In a way, it can be referred to as 'playing smart', but it tends to be too idealistic and relies on external factors more than internal ones, which is why more often than not, their plans end up failing.
With Emma however, she's a little different from the other two, in the sense that once she decides on something, she sees it through till the end. She isn't even afraid of taking risks, even if they come at the cost of her own safety. As shown by:
She acted completely on impulse here, and didn't care whether or not her hands would be burnt. Even if Ray had resolved to let himself die.
There were also two other scenarios beforehand:
An event that led to her leg being broken. But, she did manage to buy a little time for Norman to advance. He was just the one who couldn't bear to see Emma hurt, so Isabella acted on Norman's weakness.
Now, this third one is a little unique, in the sense that, she did manage to dissuade Norman for a little. Isabella was the one who intervened in time and reminded him what was at stake. Regardless however, if Isabella wasn't there, I fully believe Norman would have chosen to remain behind according to Emma's wishes.
So in a way, you can suggest that Emma acting impulsively, or rashly, has borne more fruits than whenever Ray or Norman intricately plan for something.
Thoughts on this?
That's always the thing about Emma. She's more action oriented. Still not 100% convinced that's a good thing lol. But like you said she's impulsive, and that usually serves to catch people off guard. I think in a world that seems to be rigid with rules and how things are "supposed" to be now, Emma will be a breath of fresh air. She saved Ray yes but I wouldn't call the other two a success since Norman still got shipped out and she got a broken leg for her trouble. But I think it will serve her better in the future. I have high hopes for Emma :D

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
That's always the thing about Emma. She's more action oriented. Still not 100% convinced that's a good thing lol. But like you said she's impulsive, and that usually serves to catch people off guard. I think in a world that seems to be rigid with rules and how things are "supposed" to be now, Emma will be a breath of fresh air. She saved Ray yes but I wouldn't call the other two a success since Norman still got shipped out and she got a broken leg for her trouble. But I think it will serve her better in the future. I have high hopes for Emma :D
I think the thing with Emma is that, she's the one who implements the ideas that Norman and Ray come up with.
She tends to be the 'body', while their the 'head'. Her stronger traits lie in acting more than thinking. So the people who keep on expecting Emma to have some sort of 'big break' I feel are sort of expecting the wrong thing from her character. Her actions are honestly the ones that drive the plot more than anything, as compared to just sitting around and waiting for the right moment to act. I find that to be sort of a weakness in Ray's and Norman's methods, as much as I enjoy watching them plan out stuff, the hugest flaw is that the timing of the plan is always left up to chance.
With Emma however, she sees an opening, and immediately moves to act. She makes the chances, she doesn't wait for other things before acting. So in this way, her impulsive serves as more of a good trait than anything.
I think the broken leg was something she was ready to receive. Norman was supposed to move and carry the investigation otherwise, he was the one who stopped due to Emma's leg being hurt. The blame falls on him here since he didn't carry out his end of the deal. Emma did.
Am I twisting this too much? Lol

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I think the thing with Emma is that, she's the one who implements the ideas that Norman and Ray come up with.
She tends to be the 'body', while their the 'head'. Her stronger traits lie in acting more than thinking. So the people who keep on expecting Emma to have some sort of 'big break' I feel are sort of expecting the wrong thing from her character. Her actions are honestly the ones that drive the plot more than anything, as compared to just sitting around and waiting for the right moment to act. I find that to be sort of a weakness in Ray's and Norman's methods, as much as I enjoy watching them plan out stuff, the hugest flaw is that the timing of the plan is always left up to chance.
With Emma however, she sees an opening, and immediately moves to act. She makes the chances, she doesn't wait for other things before acting. So in this way, her impulsive serves as more of a good trait than anything.
I think the broken leg was something she was ready to receive. Norman was supposed to move and carry the investigation otherwise, he was the one who stopped due to Emma's leg being hurt. The blame falls on him here since he didn't carry out his end of the deal. Emma did.
Am I twisting this too much? Lol
I'm just seeing this Emma praise and words like "the blame falls on Norman" and I feel so proud of you :p

But yeah i'm not sure I would say Ray and Norman just wait around, it's a delicate situation that requires a lot of planning, especially with all those kids to consider. That's why i'm not too hard on Emma, because her strength lies in the physical aspects. She tries her best to follow the boys but her nature is more "to do" and it's not always the best course in some situations, like when she grabbed Isabella. Honestly I found that rather ridiculous as the power was clearly tilted in Isabella's favor. Had she thought about it she would have realized that there was no way she could hold Isabella for long, certainly not long enough to carry out an entire investigation. But I really don't think she expected the broken leg. I don't think she expected anything because she wasn't thinking at all lol.

I don't think you're twisting it, more like trying to see from Emma's perspective which is cool. She's dismissed a lot since Ray and Norman have overshadowed her. Emma love is always nice to see :zomg

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I'm just seeing this Emma praise and words like "the blame falls on Norman" and I feel so proud of you :p
LMAO Norman is still>>>>Ray and Emma :3c
Don't get your hopes up just yet :fan:heh
But yeah, this is mostly stemming from some opinions I saw after the most recent chapter, which were remarking that Emma was just following Norman's instructions the whole time and can't stand on her own two feet. I felt like I needed to chip in here and point out that even Norman and Ray, as brilliant as they are, have had their shortcomings. Emma isn't the only one who gets the short end of the stick.
But yeah i'm not sure I would say Ray and Norman just wait around, it's a delicate situation that requires a lot of planning, especially with all those kids to consider. That's why i'm not too hard on Emma, because her strength lies in the physical aspects. She tries her best to follow the boys but her nature is more "to do" and it's not always the best course in some situations, like when she grabbed Isabella. Honestly I found that rather ridiculous as the power was clearly tilted in Isabella's favor. Had she thought about it she would have realized that there was no way she could hold Isabella for long, certainly not long enough to carry out an entire investigation. But I really don't think she expected the broken leg. I don't think she expected anything because she wasn't thinking at all lol.
Hmm, with the Isabella thing, did they expect her to be that strong?I think it was something like this:
-Beforehand, when they played the tag game with Krone, they managed to catch her offguard, and even tag her. Krone is in a supervising position like Isabella, so basically, to them, if they can outwit Krone, they can do the same to Isabella.
It felt more like a logical assumption based on past events. So I wouldn't exactly say it was a 'ridiculous' decision. More like misinformed, or peresumptous. Hell I was also shocked that Isabella broke Emma's leg that easily :XD She didn't even use any tools :s Just her bare hands.
Emma probably expected to wrestle with Isabella for a while before Ray and the other kids showed up and offered back up lol.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I agree with @Emperor Spriggan, the thing with Emma is that, she always believes that one plan will always work, it's like she doesn't have a "failure" in her dictionary and go such a length for that one plan, while Ray and Norman make plan after plan in case that one fails.

That's why i think, when there's a failure in a plan, Emma is the one that suffers the most because she gave it all for that one plan. But when there's a victory, she's the happiest of them all.

Anyway, i am glad Ray didn't die and will come along in the journey with her, cause Emma's weakness (being too optimistic) is his greatest strength, while his weakness (being pessimistic) is Emma's greatest strength, so they kinda make a great duo.

Manda

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been itching to write something about this for a while now and lately I've seen people bring it up a lot so I might as well.

Emma fascinates me as a character the most. It might sound silly that the "typical shonen protagonist" is the one that grabbed my interest but I really do feel like there's more to her than what we're currently seeing. And I don't mean some hidden tragic story or anything, just something about her personality.

I think she's not as empathetic as we're being lead to believe. Or rather, her empathy has a limit, if that makes sense.

Call it perhaps a case of Gon from HxH but I think the people close to her are what matters, period.
To put it simply, I recall when we were lead to believe that her goal would be to destroy the entire system and free every human and whatnot. Noble, if unreasonable, goal. But we're also lead to think that she's doing it out of kindness of her heart for every human out there, because things are "unfair", whatever the case.
But in this very last chapter, this pops up:

She doesn't want to end the system, not really. It seems to me like she just thought that was the only option in order to get her family out in the first place. But now they have somewhere to run to, what's the point, right? They go back to get Phil and the others and they head on over to the human world. The other farms? Oh, well, it's a tough world out there.

So her family gets to escape but the others are left to be cattle forever. Note that she didn't even consider helping the neighbour farms until Gilda pointed out that perhaps it was morally right to. Will they even help those out in the end?
This isn't even mentioning the downright creepy faces she pulls when something isn't going quite right for the group,

My question here is what's this going to mean for her character? Is she going to completely snap when everything seems hopeless? Is she going to do something insane? And that's the thing, this is good. It leaves me wondering what's next for her when most main characters just leave me indifferent because you know just what their train of thought is. Usually they'd be trying to fight the entire demon race for the sake of justice. That's not the case here, not unless she needs to do exactly that for the kids to live.

This is why I think she's my favourite so far, I can't tell what's up with her sometimes.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I've been itching to write something about this for a while now and lately I've seen people bring it up a lot so I might as well.

Emma fascinates me as a character the most. It might sound silly that the "typical shonen protagonist" is the one that grabbed my interest but I really do feel like there's more to her than what we're currently seeing. And I don't mean some hidden tragic story or anything, just something about her personality.

I think she's not as empathetic as we're being lead to believe. Or rather, her empathy has a limit, if that makes sense.

Call it perhaps a case of Gon from HxH but I think the people close to her are what matters, period.
To put it simply, I recall when we were lead to believe that her goal would be to destroy the entire system and free every human and whatnot. Noble, if unreasonable, goal. But we're also lead to think that she's doing it out of kindness of her heart for every human out there, because things are "unfair", whatever the case.
But in this very last chapter, this pops up:

She doesn't want to end the system, not really. It seems to me like she just thought that was the only option in order to get her family out in the first place. But now they have somewhere to run to, what's the point, right? They go back to get Phil and the others and they head on over to the human world. The other farms? Oh, well, it's a tough world out there.

So her family gets to escape but the others are left to be cattle forever. Note that she didn't even consider helping the neighbour farms until Gilda pointed out that perhaps it was morally right to. Will they even help those out in the end?
This isn't even mentioning the downright creepy faces she pulls when something isn't going quite right for the group,

My question here is what's this going to mean for her character? Is she going to completely snap when everything seems hopeless? Is she going to do something insane? And that's the thing, this is good. It leaves me wondering what's next for her when most main characters just leave me indifferent because you know just what their train of thought is. Usually they'd be trying to fight the entire demon race for the sake of justice. That's not the case here, not unless she needs to do exactly that for the kids to live.

This is why I think she's my favourite so far, I can't tell what's up with her sometimes.
I assumed its because the world they live in is dystopian and not a Utopia, meaning characters aren't exactly at the liberty to think outside of their own personal interests. It's the same for all three main characters if you think about it:
Emma-Only cares about the well being of the kids
Norman-Emma (The other kids, but solely because Emma wishes to save them as well)
Ray-Norman and Emma
Emma just acts in a way that fits the world more. I can see that changing though if they ever make it to the human side.

Manda

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assumed its because the world they live in is dystopian and not a Utopia, meaning characters aren't exactly at the liberty to think outside of their own personal interests. It's the same for all three main characters if you think about it:
Emma-Only cares about the well being of the kids
Norman-Emma (The other kids, but solely because Emma wishes to save them as well)
Ray-Norman and Emma
Emma just acts in a way that fits the world more. I can see that changing though if they ever make it to the human side.
I think that the reason I appreciate it so much is because the characters that want to be heroic and save the whole world right off the bat are all too common these days. The more jaded characters are there but they're more often than not side characters - especially in shonen mangas - so the fact that I can enjoy a character more on the Gon spectrum again (which is another protagonist I throughly enjoy) is really refreshing.
I also think because things are so straightforward with Norman and Ray's wishes (Norman being in love with Emma and Ray being more reserved as a person), it is not as shocking that they have their own "agendas" (terrible word usage but I can't think of anything else). But Emma being this seemingly sweet girl turning out to not be as heroic as we expected is actually somewhat shocking and I love what's being done with her. :p

I think I could be satisfied even if it changes a bit. Character development is always welcome!