Character - Don Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Don Discussion Thread

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
This thread is for discussing everything related to Don

Don
is one of the orphans at the Grace Field House.

Don is first introduced when Emma greeted him and Conny (and Little Bernie) while she was running around, carrying Phil.

Don is later seen asking Norman for help with fixing a clock in their room. Don, not know at the time, is confused when Norman starts looking at Emma when shes with Mama. Don is called when the older children have to help Mama with chores. While cleaning, he shouts that he wants to play and asks why they got chosen to do the chores. He questions if they are getting punished for something. Gilda then grabs him and pulls him to another room. When they return, he starts yelling because he sees Emma slacking off. He then continues to complain about doing chores.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I like Don. He's a cool guy who will go out of his way to help a friend, as proven when he reacted so strongly to Emma and the boys not trusting him. He's not an idiot either. It wasn't the wisest move but I liked that he was willing to dig deeper than simply believing what Norman and Emma told him about what was happening at Grace Fields. He also seems to be the "brawn" of the group. I was impressed at how he kicked in the door to save Ray. If the kids do escape I can see Don being the physical one when the group runs into trouble.

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, his ability is awesome :D.....Gilda is an observer, Don is a thief, what an OP combination, looking forward to when they get out.

On a different note.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
@Aonori @#Se7en

This is what Don will become when goes to city and becomes older

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Don is such an underrated character i believe.

In this escape plan he has taken a huge and major role but there is not much praise for him.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

In this escape plan he has taken a huge and major role but there is not much praise for him
I think it's because he doesn't have attraction of the "big 3" with their perfect scores. But I agree with you. They needed Don to pull off the plan especially to get over to the other side. But sometimes it's not so bad being underrated. He can be the surprise character in coming chapters. People like him and Emma who lean more towards the physical side of things will get their time to really shine I believe.

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
@Aonori @#Se7en

This is what Don will become when goes to city and becomes older

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In this escape plan he has taken a huge and major role but there is not much praise for him.
Oh, I could see it happening (if he lives long enough), getting some experiences with small thievings until he moves on to do GTA V like heists, I wouldnt put past him.

About him being underrated, I dont think so, if anything Gilda is way closer to that, than Don, since to be fair here Don, seems more like a Glenn, or Daryll (from TWD) or Franklin from GTA V, they are both pretty proeficient at what they do and throughout the plot they are in, they clearly have some feats that cant be matched by other characters, however they dont match properly with the "Top Dog" theme of the specific plot they are in at either particular settings, or the main plot in general, take Glenn or Daryll for instance, they would be great solo survivors and work well without proper community systems introduced, during the first phase of their respective plot in TWD, but would eventually become way more vulnerable and less relevant in a multiple community system; Franklin as well would work well as a solo, as far as his criminal work is concerned, but when involved in a big heist he would always lose relevance in scheming and working as boss as lets say Trevor or Michael, who have higher experience in said area.

Don´s problems match with this, he´s clearly the one most skilled thief in the group and could quite well on this area, but since this series will have a bigger focus on the leadership of the group and the brains, Gilda, Emma and Ray will always be more predominant than Don, unless he´s somehow put in a solo or forced team leader situation where he can shine more, but even if he isnt it´s not like he will be underrated considered he could straight up pickpocket Isabella without her noticing for a while and not get them caught, thats actually quite the feat to be honest.

Maybe Don lacking the brain level of the other 3 is made in purpose so that, he can work as the pratical enforcer of the group, again similar role to the other 3 character examples I gave and they arent by any means underrated.

Last edited:

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
The two main scenarios I can see him shining are:

1. If/when they run out of supplies, his thievery will come into play. I don't know if the "free" humans have numbers on their necks, but even if they do I'm sure kids walking around begging for food would look suspicious. Don would be their best bet in acquiring what they need without drawing a lot of attention.

2. If they need to launch a rescue attempt. This is only if Norman is indeed alive and they somehow find out or if one or more of the kids are kidnapped. I'm guessing Don's skill by this time would have evolved a bit passed simply snatching keys.

The contrast I'm seeing now in comparison to the farm is that they'll have to think more on their feet, instead of having weeks or months to plan. They're still kids at the end of the day so I can see them being impulsive sometimes. Don especially wants to be useful. He knows he's not as smart as the other 3 (Gilda included not Norman) so he will want to perfect his craft so to speak.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I still think Don's big moment is going to end up with him being a sacrifice somewhere along the line, since if you look at it closely, Don doesn't have specified role within the group, as of now anyway. Ray and Emma are both leaders in the sense that they take charge of the other kids whenever they're all in a group, and Gilda acts like a secondary leader whenever both Ray and Emma aren't around. But you can't say the same for Don. Somewhere along the line I'm expecting a scene to show up where Don raises this as an issue, something like admitting he feels inferior around the other 3 (Tbh he kinda feels like Usopp from One Piece to me), so one of 2 things might happen:
a)Don storms away from the group from a short while- This is INCREDIBLY cliche, but its a Shonen manga so well, not exactly out of the bounds of reality. What follows afterwards is of course, he comes back, they make up after he saves them from a foe, yadda yadda :notrust
b)Don agrees to carry out a really dangerous task, where the chances of coming back are zero to none (My own headcanon is that in the event war ever breaks out, Don might be one of the soldiers fighting on the frontlines), so this ends up becoming more and more the scenario where he dies. I think the idea of him dying by himself while lamenting about how he finally became useful would be the ideal death scenario for him.
Side Note: I'm not quite sure whether they'd do a romance between him and Gilda, but in the event nothing happens between Emma and Ray (Which seems a little unlikely), I can see potential for something there. It would be a little redundant if we had both pairs of main characters both in ships (Emma x Ray and Don x Gilda), so imo only one will be developed. We all need a little romance in our main character groups anyway :hmph