Society - Do You Follow the News? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Do You Follow the News?

How often do you keep up with the news?

• I watch the news on TV once every day.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I watch the news on TV multiple times every day.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I watch the news and read the newspaper every day.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I primarily follow the news on the internet every day.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Sometimes I'll watch the news, read the newspaper, or use the internet.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • I don't really care, I just learn about the news here and there.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Please Post.)

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch the news in the morning before school, if I wake up early enough. Occaisonally I read the newspaper (more for the comics than anything else >.>). Mostly I get it from the internet, whenever I'm actually on. It's more a convenience factor than anything else. I always check the high school sports, the entertainment and local sections, and I may glance at the int'l sect, but for the most part, espc. on conflicts in the middle east (which I have a hard time keeping up with <____<; ) I don't really catch the news often.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Come to think of it, the only news that interests me is fashion news which they have it like once a week (like today), that's the only regular item i read. As for the rest, not much at all >.>

Gorzka

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Just like LadyHatake i watch the news in the morning before school. I just like to watch early in the morning The O.C repeat(i can't watch it normaly in the day)and after this I switch the channel on the news.
When i'm at my university then i'm reading the newspapers to kill time;)(in Warsaw they give free newspapers in the streets)
When it comes to the Evening News i watch them sometimes when im not seating at the computer.

So i'm always on time with the news:)

LotusBlade

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I watch the news every morning before school, and read it on the internet during class. ;-)

Roanapur

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch the local news occasionally, read the paper when available, and watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart for that comedic spin on it.

woody_green

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm with the majority. Sometimes I watch or read the news, but sometimes I forget. I think the media here (Philippines) just blow some articles out of proportion and/or waste airtime/paper&ink trying to make a big deal out of little things just for profit, that's why sometimes I really don't care.

2ndKurono

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
i used to watch the news,but now i kinda dont cause i spent most of my time when im home with my PC.

twile

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually watch or read the news about once a day; I think it is important to stay informed or at least have some idea about what is happening out there.

gigantor21

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do follow the news daily, both on TV and the internet. But nothing really comes of it, so I don't follow things THAT closely--I just want a general sense of what's going on.

Patoz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I usually read newspaper, but sometimes I take a look on the internet; for sport's news I usually spend (on searchin' and readin') 3-4 hours per week! :BlahBlah

piiuski

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Finland
I usually read the newspaper in the morning and check news on the internet when I remember (or when I'm bored enough). I watch the news if the tv is on at the time, which rarely happens since I don't watch tv very much.

macherie

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hmm i try to read the newspaper but sometimes it can be boring, although i like to watch the news, always interesting stuff happening around the world. Apart from that, not really that often do i follow =]

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Well I have a routine of waking up and turning on the T.V. to the news just so i can see whats up. Then the first chance i get I go online and see what they have in the news there, since I'll check my e-mail and there is some news on Yahoo!'s homepage.

I dont really read the newspaper, unless I find one that someone has dropped, usually when I'm waiting for the train, all the bussiness (I told you i cant spell!!) read the newspaper every day and some times they just leave it there, so I read it.

But mostly I'm very informed on whats happening all around the world. :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Good for ya Zwivix :thumbs

Yeah, I think everybody needs to keep abreast of the news, you never know when you'll need to know what you need to know.

But just my opinion. =)

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Good for ya Zwivix :thumbs

Yeah, I think everybody needs to keep abreast of the news, you never know when you'll need to know what you need to know.

But just my opinion. =)
Ummm Well yes whatever is ment by all the knows. We all must be informed or else how can be make decisions about anything. Especially if you are to vote in your own country. You must know the candidates and issues that you will decide on. thats a big problem in the U.S. right now, people arent informed. Thats why they voted Bush back to office for a second term!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, Zwivix, this is an entirely different topic, but there really wasn't a good opposition candidate for Bush in either of his elections. Especially the second time around. I think that if the candidate had been anybody other than Kerry, Bush would have been defeated. As it is, Kerry was an even worse candidate for the presidency, and he proved that over the last few years that he was a buffoon, and would have been a very, very weak leader. He's not even trying to run for the presidency right now, because he knows he has absolutely no chance. That's telling in itself.

And Bush, say whatever you want about him, he's still a pretty aggressive leader, that has the best interests of America in mind - however misguided his actions may be. He's not one to back down from much. The biggest flaw with him is that he's simply not good at all at communicating his ideas and convictions, and he's not the brightest bulb, either. Still, for that election, the American public made the only choice it could make. Kerry would have given our country right over to the wolves.

But you're also right that Americans as a whole need to be more aware of politics and to be better participants in the voting elections, especially as far as choice of candidates. And I think we've come to start to be much better there. We'll find out this coming election.

Last edited:

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Well, Zwivix, this is an entirely different topic, but there really wasn't a good opposition candidate for Bush in either of his elections. Especially the second time around. I think that if the candidate had been anybody other than Kerry, Bush would have been defeated. As it is, Kerry was an even worse candidate for the presidency, and he proved that over the last few years that he was a buffoon, and would have been a very, very weak leader. He's not even trying to run for the presidency right now, because he knows he has absolutely no chance. That's telling in itself.

And Bush, say whatever you want about him, he's still a pretty aggressive leader, that has the best interests of America in mind - however misguided his actions may be. He's not one to back down from much. The biggest flaw with him is that he's simply not good at all at communicating his ideas and convictions, and he's not the brightest bulb, either. Still, for that election, the American public made the only choice it could make. Kerry would have given our country right over to the wolves.

But you're also right that Americans as a whole need to be more aware of politics and to be better participants in the voting elections, especially as far as choice of candidates. And I think we've come to start to be much better there. We'll find out this coming election.
Thats true my mind does wander alot.... :amuse

Anyway yes that is true that the Democrat did not give much of a choice for the people. So I guess Bush was the only choice, and thats also why parties lose House and Senate chairs in Mid-term elections, becasue they dont give the public a different how should i say this "hope". Lets take the last mid-term elections. The big issue was ending the war in Iraq the public wanted the war to end, the Democrats had mant house and senate member candidates that said they wanted the war to end, but the Republicans didnt change their views and thats why they lost so many seats in both houses of congress.Okay I think the politics talk should end...lol.

Yea I saw how I beileve its 55.3% of the registered voters voted in the national elections in 2004 and 5-10% in local elections, thats why you might have the same major and board of education for many, many years.(Not sure about the % though). Thats it is up to the next generation ot become more informed!

Btw I took Ap U.S. Gov. in High School last year so I kindda had tolearn about all this, and it was really intresting!. Even if i cant remember exact percentages

Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's cool Zwivix ^^ Yeah, it's all very interesting...

But this thread isn't a good place to discuss it. I'll start a thread on the 2008 U.S. presidental election here ^^

EDIT: Created.

Last edited:

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well i read the newspaper, it because my college library brings in the latest broadsheets daily, so that where i get them from for free!!! :D

how come there isnt a "i read the newspaper daily" i dont watch news on the tv and i dont follow the news online. so ill just vote for other....

Last edited:

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
we don't have cable right now and the tv reception is all fuzzy but i do read the news on the internet whenever i get the chance and listen to the radio in the morning... but that's about it... :(