Shounen - Detective Conan by Aoyama Gosho | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Detective Conan by Aoyama Gosho

KuwabaraTheMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, things are moving really fast now. The ending to chapter 813 was awesome, and I can't wait to see where things with Subaru go from here.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Chapter 872

I got a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery unpleasant chill the moment they mention "Satoko." I'm still shivering a bit...

Reminds me of Sacchan from The Ring :waah

She has long hair as well.........

Eek, I said it.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Chapter 892:
Conan is getting way too bold and careless these days, and he's finally done it. What on earth are you doing straight up revealing yourself to Bourbon??? D:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chapter 892:
Conan is getting way too bold and careless these days, and he's finally done it. What on earth are you doing straight up revealing yourself to Bourbon??? D:
I think he already knew that he's Bourbon :p Conan's actions have been quite... questionable when it comes to BO, pretty interesting to guess what's he planning to do.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think he already knew that he's Bourbon :p Conan's actions have been quite... questionable when it comes to BO, pretty interesting to guess what's he planning to do.
Yeah, he knows he's Bourbon, but I suspect Conan *thinks* he's not entirely bad, and Bourbon sees where he's coming from, that's why he said at the end "I think you're mistaken about me" or something......... Who would've guessed there would be a direct confrontation out of the blues, least to say an incredibly dangerous one :oh But yeah, Conan has always been downright risky when it comes to BO, though I'm more interested to see what Bourbon would do with him now that he has Conan by his throat.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, he knows he's Bourbon, but I suspect Conan *thinks* he's not entirely bad, and Bourbon sees where he's coming from, that's why he said at the end "I think you're mistaken about me" or something......... Who would've guessed there would be a direct confrontation out of the blues, least to say an incredibly dangerous one :oh But yeah, Conan has always been downright risky when it comes to BO, though I'm more interested to see what Bourbon would do with him now that he has Conan by his throat.
I think with the exception of Gin, prominent BO members are rarely an immediate threat to Conan. I mean, Vermouth still conceals Conan's true identity regardless the fact that she knows about him being Shinichi Kudo already. So I'm guessing that Bourbon is also more or less similar to Vermouth; They look threatening but they still want to "play" with Conan.

If there is something I'm more curious about, that'd be Sera's "little sister".

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Chapter 894:
Call me S on this but I love seeing Conan's horrified expression when he finally realises what Bourbon is up to. Anyways I'm guessing Conan would have had enough time to contact Akai beforehand upon the realisation. I wonder if Bourbon also suspected Vermouth's biased tendencies...

Who would have known they would face off like this? :teehee

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
There are a few characters who are still in suspense. For example, Akai, I have always wondered if he has truly been dead. Kaito Kid, when will his real identity be revealed to Conan and everyone else (though I thought it shouldn't or it will kill the mystery)? Another guys is Subaru who is staying in Shinichi's (Conan) house, who is he and what is his intention or motive? He does not seem like a bad guy but his true identity is still unknown.

I haven't read till the latest chapter, perhaps there have been changes. :)

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Okay so before I go and reread everything again, just gonna quickly note down a few thoughts and see if I would decide otherwise later. Sera is third sibling in the Akai family, that mysterious little girl on her phone could actually be her mother who has taken the APTX-4869 and she is actually the sister of Elena (Sherry/Shiho's mother. Wait er... actually that means Akai and Akemi are cousins if they're really blood-related with their respective parents...???) I'm just purely guessing, and one more of those guesses is that Amuro is also related to Sera, or he's even the second sibling in the family. Either him or Okiya is. Or both. Also people are saying Subaru = Akai Shuuichi but I'll honestly be sad if Subaru turns back into Akai because I really like him as a character lol...

As an aside, Agasa Hagase and Kudo Yuusaku confirmed by Aoyama-sensei himself NOT to be the BO boss... I'm somewhat glad he confirmed it for Yuusaku since I was starting to believe certain theories about him despite obvious flaws... inb4 BO boss = Mitsuhiko :teehee That kid knows way too much for his age......

Rant over.

There are a few characters who are still in suspense. For example, Akai, I have always wondered if he has truly been dead. Kaito Kid, when will his real identity be revealed to Conan and everyone else (though I thought it shouldn't or it will kill the mystery)? Another guys is Subaru who is staying in Shinichi's (Conan) house, who is he and what is his intention or motive? He does not seem like a bad guy but his true identity is still unknown.

I haven't read till the latest chapter, perhaps there have been changes. :)
Not sure where you're up to exactly, but there are hints dotted all over the place (not exactly spoiler because these hints are all from the Red X Black/ Hospital arc) telling Akai is still alive and Conan is in on this. I also think Kaito Kid's identity will never be revealed :p but I wonder if he would be involved in the final big clash between Conan and the BO...

...because of his contact with Bourbon.

---------- Post added April 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was April 24, 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

895: Can't wait to see how this is gonna be resolved, under BO's typical MO Conan's relationship with the FBI would make him a high priority target... This isn't something that could be simply resolved with a "misunderstanding" kind of trap/excuse, unlike the usual clashes between them.

Also I'm thinking if Sera is something they met during their time in NY, on one of the beaches or something... After all, Akai was in NY too, and her mother currently lives in the US...

As for theories concerning Haneda Shuukichi's relationship with Sera, I doubt he's a sibling of hers. He doesn't have the eye feature thing Sera and Akai (and even that mysterious 'girl') has, not to mention Sera calls Akai Shuuichi "Shuu-nii," Haneda would yield the exact same name-call if he were a sibling... anyways...

AndieAras26

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Panama
I can't wait for 896 to be translated. Conan was getting careless and now Bourbon is right on his tail.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
So, is there anything new in the developments of DC?

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
For one thing, Bourbon's caught onto the fact that Subaru Okiya is in fact, Akai. Also, Sera is his little sister. I wonder if Bourbon has already sent goons after her.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Just read the last two and the first chapters of the arc/story. Didn't read the other ones cuz its Manga Editor hasn't released it yet. But now the story's finally picking up!

What about anything before that? I'm not sure if Batoto is up to date with DC.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
@Milly
The frequency of BO-related chapters are a bit higher than usual for the past 100 chapters or so. And ever since the arrival of Okiya Subaru and Amuro Tooru, there have been several major BO events as well as hints, important dialogues/remakrs dotted all over the place, including new key characters such as Sera Masumi and her "sister from outside the territory" (as quoted) whom I suspect to be another person taken the drug, but since she appears older than Conan by about at least 4 years. We're nearing chapter 900. Usually on the 100th mark there will be a major BO case, and the past 10 chapters have certainly been leading up to this expected climax.

Anyways, Chapter 896:
Jodie@Akai: How come you're in the car?? :rofl
I love Agent Camel, poor him thinking he's ruined Akai's plan and life again :(
I wonder what will happen to Kir though. The initiative in this whole ordeal is seems to be set by Bourbon, so it's not like Kir will get any major advantage off this, if at all. Not to mention Akai's reappearance will endanger her life all over again.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

After rereading the recent chapters a few more times, I have a feeling the guys waiting outside Kudo's are paparazzi, not that I know how it would turn out, but that could be one way to end this fiasco without a checkmate for either side... It's just a hunch but (1) the guys don't look all that Japanese to me in 895, (2) there's a guy on the phone, (3) the (possibly) paparazzi van in 896. The guys currently chasing Jodie and Camel have different colour suits (non-black, with guns.) The news flash on Ran's TV also stand out to me a bit, since normally you wouldn't have the award with a random news flash about the same thing, *if* the ceremony were live (but I'm not familiar with Japanese TV so I could be wrong.) Then for whatever reason the thing on TV isn't live, then the paparazzi would make sense as well. If it turned out to be Yuusaku in disguise then it would also kinda make sense (to avoid paparazzi and the like?) but it wouldn't make sense with the voice changer, since there's obviously there's a mic hidden in Okiya's mask, and this Okiya should be different from the 'usual Okiya' (the one whose turtleneck shirt Haibara took an interest in.) There are unusually a lot of panels showing Okiya's right hand and doing things with his right hand, could be a hint to handiness (Akai is left-handed.) Actually I just notice this but the Okiya puts his mask back on with his right hand and supposedly his right hand *only* (he reaches to his left ear with his right hand.) Left hand occupied??

Akai probably hid in the trunk and came out through the back seat, I have no idea why and it sounds a bit stupid lol but hey.

Just a bunch of unprocessed thoughts.

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
@Utsune
If you want to discuss Conan in detail I recommend going here: http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12248#p809629
There are currently over 650 responses regarding this arc.

Akai probably hid in the trunk and came out through the back seat, I have no idea why and it sounds a bit stupid lol but hey.
Or he was at the bottom of the back seat. As for why he didn't reveal himself from the start, probably because it wouldn't be as interesting otherwise :P.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
@Utsune
If you want to discuss Conan in detail I recommend going here: http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12248#p809629
There are currently over 650 responses regarding this arc.
Ah yes, I do know the forums at DCTP and DCW and the likes, just trying to stir up something here :p for one reason or another there aren't really anywhere else that remotely talks about DC other than those places, makes me wonder if this is one of those 'niche' series within the western community despite its success... But for now, I'll try to avoid clicking on those forums too much as I would inevitably end up spoiling the recently released 18th movie for myself, which apparently has a little bit of canon content not yet revealed in the manga... :D

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Chapters 893 to 897 - I have been following this series in "bout". This is probably one of the manga series that I like a lot. :) It's pretty kiddish where children are more intelligent than adults. :teehee

Amuro (aka Bourbon) only used a common and simple trick to lure answer from Camel. What a blockhead! :teehee With a smart deduction, Subaru's real identity got blow away. But Conan still managed to cover it up to distort Bourbon's suspicion. Not bad, Conan! :)

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yes, I like it a lot too :p Been following for at least 17, 18 out of the 20 years it's been serializing, to be honest I can't believe how much patience I have in waiting for the BO boss to reveal him/herself :XD

This chapter (897) is anti-climatic to me in one sense (Bourbon just gives up like that!) but at the same time, there're plenty of revelations. It's funny his real name is Furuya because that's yet another homage to Amuro Ray's voice actor (Furuya Tooru) from Gundam (although they use a different kanji.) Pretty much confirmed he's a government agent, and his underlings giving chase are also on his side (they call him by his real name, and Bourbon says Akai knows their real identities,) but I wonder what role they play within the Org, since it seems they do have contact with the BO judging from the way Bourbon says "he'll do the explanation" after giving the retreat order.

In any case, this arc has come to a major checkpoint, there should be lots of clearing up in the next chapter, and maybe even a trigger to the next big event (I still don't think this current arc has a few more chaps to go!)

On another note, there's a sweat drop coming out of Okiya/Yuusaku in one of the panels where he turns around to look at the TV, probably reacting to his wife's rant about Akai :XD

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

And oh, poor Camel, I honestly feel sorry for him when he actually starts to tear up a bit because he thinks he's messed up Akai's life again. No worries Agent Camel, you're a star in helping to resolve an arc or two with your driving skills! :super

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
You must have started this series when you were a baby, Utsune? :teehee Just kidding! To follow a series for that length of time (17 to 18 years), is pretty long and an unspeakable patience. :) :verily I have stumbled upon this series about 8 years ago by which I watched the anime version of it. It was only after the Edited Manga group started to go hiatus on translating that motivated me to read the manga instead. Though it was a long journey of following the series, it has been fulfilling as the comical entertainment of the story (& characters) are very much enjoyable. :)

It seems like the author has intention to make his work comes to a conclusion soon. What is being shown would probably be the beginning of it. The Black Organisation is gradually being brought to light with Amuro's identity exposure. However Amuro (aka Bourbon) seems to have a double identity. I am still pondering upon what Subaru's words whom has mentioned that he did not want to be Amuro's enemy. Additionally Amuro has also openly confronted the FBI in a threatening tone and manner. There should be something deeper than that which was unspoken.

I didn't realise about the voice actor for Toru Amuro whose name is Toru Furuya. That's pretty observant of you. :) I have yet to watch the anime for a while now which I will be catching up soon. :)

The poor chap, Camel (I called him a blockhead. :teehee :teehee hmm... he does have a square-looking face though :teehee), his tears have brought forth my sympathy. At the same time I also empathise on his unsophisticated nature. At least he has helped, within his means, to bring Jodie and "Akai" out of danger while driving on a air-leaking tire(s).

I'm surprised and amazed on how Conan could pull off the trick on Bourbon by calling his parents to be part of this act in such a short period of time. I would reckon that the folks are in America and for Yuusaku to fly back to Japan would take about 11 to 13 hours, not considering the time of booking the flight, the travelling time on the road from the location (wherever he was in America) to the airport, and any other time that was taken during this period.

Yuusaku's wife, as always, seems to be very good in her acting and disguise which there is no doubt about it. :)

There is one thing that I'm shocked that Yuusaku and Yukiko did not reacted much to their son's sudden transformation from a 16-year old teen to a 8-year old elementary school kid. The mother even responded with praising how cute her son was and the father remained his composure (Wow! What an interesting parents Shinichi has!) In real life, it would have been a complete lost of words and thoughts to such phenomenon. The kid, Conan, would be a subject for experiments. :gwah

Oh well, a story is a story! :)

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I only check out the anime from time to time, main episodes involving Sherry/Haibara actually, because I really like her tone of voice provided by her voice actress lol. Her sarcasm is unreal, and should be observed in form of animation :XD

I think Amuro's hostility has something to do with Date (one of the dead inspectors/detective/whatever his rank was in the police force,) which in turns has something to do with Akai (hence his condolences towards the matter as revealed in this chapter.) I suspect part of the cause of death is due to the FBI's involvement, not only Akai. That's what seems to be indirectly confirmed in their conversation anyways.

About the characters, if you didn't know already, Akai and Amuro/Furuya are both based on the infamous pair of rivals from the very first Gundam series (from 1979!) I haven't looked up on any interviews pertaining this but it's pretty amazing how Aoyama-sensei not only names his characters based on the legendary Gundam characters and their respective voice actors, he also managed to get them to voice his own characters! :D

Basically:
Akai Shuuichi based on Char Aznable aka Red Comet (Akai = red in Japanese), both voiced by Ikeda Shuuichi
Char Aznable's other name is called Casval Rem Deikun (it's spelled Kyasubaru in Japanese ---> Okiya Subaru :teehee Deikun is spelled Daikun, on which Akai's former code name is based (Moboroshi Dai))
Amuro Tooru/Furuya Rei based on Amuro Ray, both voiced by Furuya Tooru
Char Aznable has a little sister called Sayla Mass (on whose name Sera Masumi is based.)

Aoyama-sensei either loves his word plays, or his Gundam, or both :D

That's why Gundam fans already know a long time ago what to expect from these two (three including Sera, four including Okiya) based on their names :XD It's a bit like the author has already spoiled his own story as much as he can for a mystery manga :D

Anyways, Yuusaku and Yukiko are probably shocked of course, and probably would have shown more reaction if we actually saw the moment they learned of this news. But as you say, Yuusaku is super level-headed, Yukiko is just excited she gets to raise her cute little son all over again, so they're just weird after all :XD