Info - Common misunderstandings from translations | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Common misunderstandings from translations

sk.nite

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
From http://www.skullknight.net

Volume 10 / Episode 53: Charlotte to Hawks
Incorrect:Then, from the darkness, came a Mysterious Knight who brought an end to all wars
Correct: Charlotte just says the one who would put an end to that age of wars finally appeared.
There's nothing about him being "a mysterious knight from the darkness".

Incorrect:"He was the only person in recorded history who was able to conquer the entire world, and bring it under the arms of an empire. And so, he became the first emperor of that new Empire."
Correct: "That was the name of the Emperor who pacified all of the 10+ countries and, for the first time in History, created in one's lifetime a great empire all over the continent."

Incorrect: "However, no one knew of his past. No ne knew where he came from, or any other details about him."
Correct: "What country was he from, when and how did he raise an army... No description prior to his appearance on the stage of History remains in any document."

Volume 12 / Episode 77: Void to Griffith
Incorrect:"That is the punishment meted out by the God who made man."
Correct: The other way around: "The God made by man."

Volume 13 / Episode 80: Zodd to SK ; SK to Zodd
Incorrect: "You've stood against us for thousands of years"
Correct: "You've stood against us for a thousand years."

Incorrect: "Fate forsees that I shall strike down Void"
Correct: "I suppose that this encounter too is, as Void would say, in the flow of the Causality... In that case, I entrust my life to this sword."

Volume 13 / Episode 88: Slan to herself
Incorrect:"Even though we are as Gods, we cannot forsee all paths. This is one of many possible paths."
Correct: "Foreseeing everything is impossible. After all, we're not God. Or was that one of the foreordained destinies as well?..."

Berserk DC Game / Zodd Fight: Zodd to Guts
Incorrect: "It appears I'm somewhat late for the show. I wanted to try you out myself puny Guts, but I don't need Gods to become human to defeat you..."
Correct: "It looks like I'm too late... I intended to test him with my bare hands... But if a mere human could defeat him, I guess the Falcon would have had no use for him anyway."

Volume 26 / Episode 220: Skull Knight to Slan
Incorrect: Prostitute of Intestines (it could possibly be intended as a pun side of the line, since Slan is made of troll bowels at that time, not a sure thing though).
Correct: Courtesan of the uterine world (sounds odd but SK uses that kind of vocabulary, it refers to the Qliphoth, that Slan implies is her womb, and where evil creatures are "born").

[nami] Title renamed ^^[/nami]

Last edited by a moderator:

Silhouette

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Re: Common misunderstandings from shitty tranlsations

Thanks for bringing the correction here, especially this part
Incorrect: "Fate forsees that I shall strike down Void"
Correct: "I suppose that this encounter too is, as Void would say, in the flow of the Causality... In that case, I entrust my life to this sword."
I always assumed SK targeted Void on purpose because he was "destined to strike Void" and forged his special behelit sword for that goal. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed though...looks like Void remains out of SK's reach.

sk.nite

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Re: Common misunderstandings from shitty tranlsations

Yep, saying that line was butchered is not enough to describe what was done with it. And SK does target Void, but just as much as the rest of the God Hand.

erik-the-red

Proofreader
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Common misunderstandings from tranlsations

Weren't these the translations The Hawks did? Flawed as they may be, I'm still thankful that The Hawks actually scanlated 30 volumes of one series.

Mushashi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
i know what you mean, i cleaned for the hawks on 20th century boys and 5 chapters of beserk, and they were realling pumping them out, bunch of great guys.