Fall - College Football Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fall College Football Thread

qwan3356

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Venom65437 said:
I agree completely Phil. Until their is a playoff, college football will be my least favorite sport. I think it's a total joke we have an unbeaten team that probably won't be ranked in the top 5 in the final polls. We could of had a great second round with UF, LSU, Boise State, and USC, but we'll never know.

Think March Madness is nuts? A college football playoff would be insane. Ohio State had 51 days off between games, there was plenty of time to play. And it's Christmas break too, so none of that, they'll miss school crap. They aren't in school. I guess basketball players are smart enough to take a month off school though...

I agree somewhat, i still like college football, they play with more passion, they don't get paid or anything, they play to prove themselves to the pros for contracts.

on the subject of Boise State, they prolly won't be ranked in the top 7, just because they come from a weak conf. but they totally deserve it after playing like they did.

ON the subject of a playoff, that would just be the greatest, but those AD's are too stuck on the money and on what their streak is at the end of the season. end on a win or a loss. u know

Venom65437

Ok, I 100 billion percent do NOT agree college players play with more passion. In pro football, they're playing for their livelihood. In college, as long as they don't mess up they keep their free ride. Sure college players want to play in the pros, but most college players already KNOW if they have a legit shot to play in the pros. Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.

In pro if you don't give your all you are OUT... not just off the team, but usually out of the league. At every level there are players who try as hard as they can, and others who don't do anything. I do not think college players try harder, or have more passion. I mean, college players usually jump the second they have the chance to go to the NFL.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Have to disagree there Venom. I tend to think most college players do play with more passion, especially if they know that'll probably be the end of the line for them, and they want to make their schools look good (lots of pride involved). You hear it from the pros all the time about how much they love their alma mater.

In the pros, I tend to think most players are tired and weary of the sport and sometimes even hate their coaches, but for the sake of their livelihood and family life, as you mentioned, they "do the best they can and trudge on." I mean, I know there are some players who love football in despite of it, and that's why they're the best. But in college, they have 100 players on every roster, and the starters are usually playing because they're full of fire, not because they're the most paid.

Venom65437

The starters are playing because they're the best players. And you really can't say you honestly believe there aren't athletes out there who are just on the team for the "free ride." I mean, get serious.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
These athletes aren't starting, though. And I tend to think the most paid starters in pro football do usually get more leverage than low-paid players, especially when quarterbacking is concerned.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree and say there's lots of passion involved in both sports and leave it at that. It really more or less varies between teams, and I do believe that whoever wins the National Championship or the Super Bowl is a team full of passion either way.

Venom65437

No doubt starting players have more leverage... but they're better players too...

and you don't want to keep arguing about it? Fine! :cussing

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
We could go on forever though if we did :p

Uchiha Slayer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I 100 billion percent do NOT agree college players play with more passion. In pro football, they're playing for their livelihood. In college, as long as they don't mess up they keep their free ride. Sure college players want to play in the pros, but most college players already KNOW if they have a legit shot to play in the pros. Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.

In pro if you don't give your all you are OUT... not just off the team, but usually out of the league. At every level there are players who try as hard as they can, and others who don't do anything. I do not think college players try harder, or have more passion. I mean, college players usually jump the second they have the chance to go to the NFL.
I'v played college football and been around the nfl sorda, more less talk to some nfl players. When you say the word PASSION your talking about passion for the game not the money. So i would have to disagree, most college players play at a school where tradition is pride and that same pride carries on the football field. Yes a football team is not just made up of scholorship players, some are walk ons. That kids who have to pay their way through school and yet get the living shit knock out of them in practice. They dont play for the free ride, they play for the passion of the game. School tradition and pride= love and passion for the game.

On the NFL side, a hand full play for the passion but mostly play for the check. In the NFL nobody plays on a team because of the tradition or passion, they play on a team because that team owner pays the bills. No tradition,passion or pride. Just think after somebody wins the super bowl, you would think everybody would stay to win another. But some players opt out and go for the pay check somewhere else. The NFL is a buisness, college football is tradition. Sorry thats just the way I look at it. True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football

Venom65437

Well in college football a lot of players leave as soon as they're draft eligible. So they don't get paid to play in college, but they're still just playing to get to that pay check.

And please don't start with "true football fans" crap. No one is more of a "true" football fan because they think there is more passion in one league or another.

Uchiha Slayer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well in college football a lot of players leave as soon as they're draft eligible. So they don't get paid to play in college, but they're still just playing to get to that pay check.

And please don't start with "true football fans" crap. No one is more of a "true" football fan because they think there is more passion in one league or another.

I wouldnt say a lot, you have some. Theirs never a wide selection of underclass football players who go pro...Put it this way you have a choice of schools to attend when your a good football player, NFL no choice.

With the true passion thing, I didnt say anything about somebody being more of a "true" football fan because there is more passoin in one league than the another. I was saying a "true" football fan knows where true passion is at. Get it right.

Venom65437

Well when you say this:

True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football

It sounds, to ME anyway, like you're saying true football fans know that the passion is only in college football. Which why I said what I said.

Either way, this is a fruitless argument. I'm not going to change your mind, and I promise you you won't change mine, so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that, ok? :)

Uchiha Slayer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well when you say this:

True football fans no where the passion is, thats in college football

It sounds, to ME anyway, like you're saying true football fans know that the passion is only in college football. Which why I said what I said.

Either way, this is a fruitless argument. I'm not going to change your mind, and I promise you you won't change mine, so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that, ok? :)
cool with me, preciate the discussion, no hard feelings...

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I agree with both of you in two things:

[1]In NFL, it's more competitive since there's money and contracts involved, so in that sense, there is "passion" because you have to work extremely hard just to stay ahead of the game.

[2] In College football, there's less pressure to do well since there's no money involved, however, those with NFL ambitions are still working their ass off to ensure they have a legitimate shot at going Pro, so yeah, that's "passion". In addition, there's also this thing called "school spirits", so for example, if you're a Florida Gators player and you are faithful/loyal to your college, there's a lot of school "pride" and "spirit" that makes school rivalries exciting in college football, so yeah, that is also called "passion".

But on the other hand, not all schools have the same level of "passion", and not all individual college player have the same level of "passion", school pride or spirit. For example, if you play for a mid major conference and your team sucks, then more than likely you are there to play without "passion".

[3] So basically, it depends what kind of "passion" we're talking about, and I say it exists in both the college and Pro level, and you can't really compare the two leagues because the nature of the expectation they have for their players are different altogether.

In other news, Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, Jemarcus Russel, etc. -- they're all going Pro.

So for this next season, who do you guys think is likely to win the Heisman?

I think it'll be John David Booty of USC. And the fact that they have a big chance of winning the championship this season.

Last edited:

Uchiha Slayer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I agree with both of you in two things:

[1]In NFL, it's more competitive since there's money and contracts involved, so in that sense, there is "passion" because you have to work extremely hard just to stay ahead of the game.

[2] In College football, there's less pressure to do well since there's no money involved, however, those with NFL ambitions are still working their ass off to ensure they have a legitimate shot at going Pro, so yeah, that's "passion". In addition, there's also this thing called "school spirits", so for example, if you're a Florida Gators player and you are faithful/loyal to your college, there's a lot of school "pride" and "spirit" that makes school rivalries exciting in college football, so yeah, that is also called "passion".

But on the other hand, not all schools have the same level of "passion", and not all individual college player have the same level of "passion", school pride or spirit. For example, if you play for a mid major conference and your team sucks, then more than likely you are there to play without "passion".

[3] So basically, it depends what kind of "passion" we're talking about, and I say it exists in both the college and Pro level, and you can't really compare the two leagues because the nature of the expectation they have for their players are different altogether.

In other news, Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, Jemarcus Russel, etc. -- they're all going Pro.

So for this next season, who do you guys think is likely to win the Heisman?

I think it'll be John David Booty of USC. And the fact that they have a big chance of winning the championship this season.
I couldnt said it no better....Damn near took the words out of my mouth...

Universty of South Carolina had their scrimage game today and it looks like Chris Smelley might be the new starting QB...Go Gamecocks!!!

P.S. The real USC

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like Boise State for example... none of those players went there with SERIOUS aspirations about the NFL. College players with serious NFL aspirations are going to the SEC, Florida State, Michigan, OSU, USC, Miami, etc.
Or, the Boise State players were High School football players that had ambitions to play for the NFL, but wasn't good enough to be recruited by the major power conferences.

I'm sure each individual college player, regardless of what school he ended up in, have ambitions to go to the NFL. It's just the nature of recruitment expectations, some players are more fortunate than others.

Anyway, I don't care if Boise State is a mid major, but damn they can play as good as anybody, as they have demonstrated convincingly against the Oklahoma Sooners. That was a beautiful game, probably the best game I've seen in the last 5-10 years of College football.

Universty of South Carolina had their scrimage game today and it looks like Chris Smelley might be the new starting QB...Go Gamecocks!!!

P.S. The real USC
^the real USC eh? very funny. :rofl

Last edited:

Uchiha Slayer

Reaction score
Country
United States
^the real USC eh? very funny. :rofl
uuuuuuuummmmmm, not funny :(

College football is almost here...Time for spurriur and the cocks to win the SEC

Last edited:

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright... time to revive this thread...

Its college Football time!!!

I know each and everyone of you is as excited as I am, so lets talk some college Football...

What I want to know is who you got in the BCS championship and how will your favorite team fair this year?

As for the BCS championship I think I'm going with USC ... actually I know I'm picking them. the other team right now is pretty much up for debate. Probably go with Florida or Oklahoma. I just got to see more of a team first before I choose... preseason polls are rather useless IMO and as something as random as college football its hard to make a solid guess right now. After 3-4 weeks I'll have a solid pick...

Anyways I'm Michigan man... even though I never went to the school, its maze and blue all the way...

At first I thought that my team might be a respectable 6-6 this season...if you take into consideration all that they lost... but after watching them on Saturday... I think I'm leaning more towards a 3-9 season. I mean, not only are they instituting an entire new offense(Pros style to the Spread) they also lost 4 year starters at QB and RB, the number one draft pick and two of the most deadly WR's in college football. Plus whatever they lost on defense is going to hurt them since the are going to have to depend on that this year.

it's going to be a tough year for my wolverines, so I guess I'll just have to look towards the future and hope Coach Rodriguez can deliver:notrust

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to keep up with college football this year, although with a hectic schedule, I'll be limited to focusing only on the PAC10, since I live in this region.

I think USC has a shot at a BCS championship, but it's still too early in the season to predict.

How about those Bruins? (Gold Knight, if you're seeing this, I know it must have crushed you to see your Volunteers beat by us, lol)

anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.