Discussion - Character Development Speculation Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
In the latest chapter, we learned that Joichiro was a Tootsuki student himself and the second seat of the Elite Ten at that. Furthermore, his real name is Saiha Joichiro, he took the name of his late wife, and he also shares a bond with Erina.
Other than that, his character is still shrouded in mystery, what do you think his background story be?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Discuss anything about Erina here! The daughter of prestigious family who has friendly-hate relationship with Souma and Don't forget to mention her famous "God's Tongue" which can detect the taste of food with 100 % accuracy.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So I'm wondering if the main heroine of this series is still Erina, what do you think? so far I feel that such role has been assigned to Tadokoro, especially as of late. Do you think that Erina would eventually still play big role in the plot, or not?

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Yes, I'll say so. Souma go to Erina this past chapter. It's just that Erina is not defeat yet, so she doesn't go tsun tsun toward Yukihara yet. That's all.

Eru13

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
So I'm wondering if the main heroine of this series is still Erina, what do you think? so far I feel that such role has been assigned to Tadokoro, especially as of late. Do you think that Erina would eventually still play big role in the plot, or not?
Yes, it's simple
1) She's part of the Elite Ten
2) It seems she's meant to be the head of the Nakiri family eventually
3) She has a back story with Jouichirou
4) She was pretty much declared Souma's 1st love interest on ch 1
And I could think of some more else

Seriously though, her lack of action as of late was mostly because of her being the only first year unelligible for the election, when this arc is over she's bound to return to another heavily plot related appearance

Then again, she could have one during the Souma vs Subaru shokugeki thinking of what happened this chapter, if not, maybe something on the final (because we know Souma will be there and if he wins hell will break lose with Erina)

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The story doesn't have to have only one main female character. Megumi is Yukihira partner and who will evolve throughout the story along with him. Erina is one of the most important rivals, she is on a different level right now, that's why she is not appearing that much, as Eru13 said. She will be very important in the future.

Did it happen? Seriously? I have to reread this chapter because I don't remember that at all. :XD

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Well, his father do say something along the line of to become a great chef you should find a woman who’ll make you want to cook for her for the rest of your life or something like that. Then, the next page, Erina appear. Seems like a pretty big hint.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It was to create a cliffhanger to the next chapter, put in check Yukihira's enrollment test, it didn't have anything to do with love. :p
We already discussed that and concluded that love in this story is nearly to zero, but if I had to choose someone to make a couple with Yukihira, it would be Megumi. She, unlike Erina, really showed love for Yukihira.

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
It was to create a cliffhanger to the next chapter, put in check Yukihira's enrollment test, it didn't have anything to do with love. :p
We already discussed that and concluded that love in this story is nearly to zero, but if I had to choose someone to make a couple with Yukihira, it would be Megumi. She, unlike Erina, really showed love for Yukihira.
It's not necessarily about love, but I still tend to believe that Erina would have pivotal role in Souma's life more than any other girl in this series. Personally I also found that the dialogue spoken by Jouichiro hinting towards Erina, though it could've been more obvious to avoid more speculations.

I personally don't think this series as a whole would be void of dere-dere stuff, it's just at the moment things are more focused on the development of Souma & co. as characters, rather than focusing on their relationships. So far, only Megumi (and Nikumi, but I believe it's comical rather than something serious) who shows her apparent affection towards Souma, but then again, I am looking forward how the relationship between Erina and Souma develops.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Yes, it's simple
1) She's part of the Elite Ten
2) It seems she's meant to be the head of the Nakiri family eventually
3) She has a back story with Jouichirou
And I could think of some more else

Seriously though, her lack of action as of late was mostly because of her being the only first year unelligible for the election, when this arc is over she's bound to return to another heavily plot related appearance

Then again, she could have one during the Souma vs Subaru shokugeki thinking of what happened this chapter, if not, maybe something on the final (because we know Souma will be there and if he wins hell will break lose with Erina)
I agree, I also more inclined to believe it's because her current status is "higher" than Souma in Tootsuki, her appearance and role are kinda diminished, although just like you, I'm pretty convinced that she'll be crucial for Souma eventually.

Last edited:

ITO

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I may be wrong but I believe for him to take the name of his late wife, she would have had to have been the eldest daughter of her family.

Hmmmm I suspect she is some how related to Erina.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
For me, if there is anything that involving our favorite Hall of Famer, it has to be his motivation to quit Tootsuki and his would-be wife that change his personality. I'm not sure how or what would I expecting to see Joichiro past but, if there is one tale that involving about him it has to be the Yukihira Genius mother, whom I assume the one who changing the Asura's life forever.

Mister Ajjiko

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
For the second seat to not graduate, something heavy must have happened. I think that he was one of those who cooked for power and domination of opponents during his time at Toutsuki but accepted a shokugeki against Souma's mom who beat him handily. He left Toutsuki because he could not understand why he lost and to discover what he was missing. After travelling and cooking around the world he finally humbled and reunited with Souma's mother years after. Who taught him to cook with love and think of the people who will be eating your food. Given his age when Souma was born (23) he had already traveled the world a bit since leaving Toutsuki at 18. We can surmise that since Souma never knew his mother, she must have died in childbirth or soon after, leaving Joichiro to raise their son alone.

Bowser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's one chapter where a picture of the family is shown, with Soma's mum being alive (he was pretty young)...

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
test

Hachibukai

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
This is a continuation of the Erina Nikiri thread, the link to the first part is here

You may discuss about Tootsuki's best/worst character here :verily

I think her developing is going nicely, at the AE she helped Souma against Subaru (for some shoujo manga) and now at the festival she again tasted his food (this time for free) and gave him some advice, I find this panel of her encouraging Souma very remarkable, after all she has wished for Souma to be expelled from the beginning of the series.
About her cooking I think it's inevitable that she will suffer a crushing defeat at some point, I say this because what Joichiro said at the end of the AE

However I think she may reach a higher place in the E10 before that happens, she is a very good chef even though she cooks with nobody in mind and she does not looks for challenges.

Last edited:

NyoiToy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think if she is going to have any substantial character growth she needs to fall out of the elite 10 so that she can learn to truly appreciate it... right now she kinda acts like it is her birthright to succeed.

I find her character great to use as contrast to soma, but I hope she just ends up being a good rival.

Zekiel

Reaction score
Country
United States
those were jurichiro words? i thought erina was saying that? guess not

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah the female protagonist who hasn't been getting a lot of screentime. Some even consider Megumi the female main lead, but I will acknowledge that when she earns the same amount of spotlight and appears on the jump collaborations.

I find female characters that don't sugarcoat their words to the main character very refreshing. In all the times she has tasted his dishes, she has never told him that it's adequate for the situation, and that was exactly what Souma needed to hear for him to improve. Except for his entrance exam, which I didn't take completely serious because she said it with a chibi face, and one little tooth. That is Tsukuda telling us to not to freakout over the rejection. That aside, she has never directly tried to get him expelled. For someone at her skill level, it would have been very easy to just challenge Souma to a shokugeki. Knowing his recklessness, he would've accepted.

Erina and Souma are actually pretty similar despite what is on the surface. They both have the common goal of aiming for the top (first seat), enjoys playing cards even during the hell training camp, and can be totally badass/cocky when they need to be. She's also not as spoiled as people think she is. Sheltered, sure, but everything she owns at Tootsuki was earned with her cooking skill. Whenever she needs a new kitchen, she just does a shokugeki risking her Elite 10 seat. It's probably hard not to be cocky when everyone is telling you how amazing you are all the time.

Chapter 9's title is "The Ice Queen and the Spring Storm." Erina has been referred to several times as the "Ice Queen" and Isshiki described Souma as spring. We've seen her thaw out, hastened after witnessing Souma in the Autumn Elections.

Some would call her a "tsundere" though I don't agree completely with those labels. If she is a tsundere then she is an incredibly intriguing and well written one because normally I find "tsunderes" really annoying.

Anyway it's obvious that Tsukuda has a lot planned out for her. Whether or not that involves crushing defeat, we'll see. At the end it would be interesting for her discard her ojousama status after learning more about Joichirou. She might even have her own special-of-the-day shop, putting the pressures of the Nakiri family behind her.

Last edited:

AlexisMeade

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hmm... I think it would be very trite for her to have special of the day shop. Maybe just temporarily just to know how it feels like and to gain extra skills, but I'd like her to OWN that Nakiri name. Be the head of the family and control the Tootsuki group better than her grandpa would ever have. In short, the treatment she'd have gotten if only she's a guy main rival in Shonen Jump manga. Maybe Soma will kinda reach her level, and they will beat each other and win and lose back and forth. Something like Touya Akira in Hikaru no Go (which btw have kinda similar background to Erina) or Niizuma Eiji in Bakuman.

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm... I think it would be very trite for her to have special of the day shop. Maybe just temporarily just to know how it feels like and to gain extra skills, but I'd like her to OWN that Nakiri name. Be the head of the family and control the Tootsuki group better than her grandpa would ever have. In short, the treatment she'd have gotten if only she's a guy main rival in Shonen Jump manga. Maybe Soma will kinda reach her level, and they will beat each other and win and lose back and forth. Something like Touya Akira in Hikaru no Go (which btw have kinda similar background to Erina) or Niizuma Eiji in Bakuman.
Hmm Erina as a male does sound interesting. It sounds like she would've run the Nakiri family well enough as a side character. There's little development and, as the female protagonist I would expect something big to happen.