Discussion - Can you guys read a manga knowing basics of Japanese??! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Can you guys read a manga knowing basics of Japanese??!

Shaher

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello,
I was wondering, can someone who knows to read only katakana or hiragana translate manga or he must know kanji?

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Re: need some help

Doesn't mean to sound mean or anything...but go learn more first. Just being able to read what is being said without knowing what it means won't be enough for you to translate anything. After all, dictionary WILL NOT help you with every single thing in there. :S

ikuroi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Re: need some help

lol, well grammar is usually a big part of a language so, like the post above... no, it's not enough.

raghu2345

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can you guys read a manga knowing basics of Japanese??!
What would you do in that situation?

Thinkin' about it?
:confused:

TitaniumChloride

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Well, it's possible but it's really tedious and there's going to be a lot of stuff that won't make sense. Besides needing to know hirgana and katakana, a dictionary at hand and decent knowledge about the grammar can help a lot. Good sites to get started on grammar are JGram and Tae Kim's Japanese guide.

~Brianma~

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, it will be very hard and 100% you will not enjoy it...

But on the brighter side, it is a good way to improve your Japanese language skills.

raghu2345

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I am a beginner and I can read around 300-400 kanji.So I can read a manga with simple kanji with furigana. Ex.. Doraemon...

~Brianma~

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
:) Yeah, that is a good way too.

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but...how basic? I need the standard before I can say anything... .-.

`clone.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've been studying Japanese for three years and yet I still cannot read one manga page without any help. And besides, if you were to stop and analyse and translate each and every kanji in your mind, in my opinion, that would destroy the flow of the manga. I would prefer reading it in English and study more Japanese, until I am convinced that I can fluently translate one Japanese page without any help. :)

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
i did jap for 3 years at school and i didnt bludge (living in denial?!?!) i dont think but even the most action packed word lacking manga was hard to grasp, i could understand alright i guess but half of what i was reading was coming from the pictures, you need a bit more then the basics .

raghu2345

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Australia
hmm.. maybe manga text are complicated

Mushashi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
its not that its complicated, but you live in tokyo u should be able to read it.

Poneglyph420

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Being fluent is not exactly required, but sure helps for more involved manga.
I knew nothing before I lived in Japan. For the most part most of my manga friends know almost no japanese at all.

Only matters if you want to read raws or translate IMO.

TunaSFX

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
It really depends on how you read the manga. If your gonna read online scanalations, then just knowing the basics are not enough. If you read the takoban volumes, those volumes usually have fumigana (little hiragana next to the kanji) However just knowing how to read it isn't enough. you have to be able to understand it as well. If you want to practice understanding japanese, you can look at some simple vocabulary words, or try the longer and more enjoyable method of watching anime. :)

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Furigana is present in non-tank raws (ie magazine raws) too, actually, but typically only for shounen and shoujo manga. Very rarely (or never) will you see furigana for seinen and josei manga regardless of their source, except for extremely uncommon/difficult words. This is because shounen and shoujo manga are aimed at a younger audience who may not be able to read even some of the simpler kanji.

Furigana would be very helpful since it enables you to be able to check a dictionary quickly and easily to find out the meaning of that word, but you also need to have some basic understanding of grammar at least to be able to have an inkling (note: not a full understanding) of what the sentence is saying.

Reading a manga without having a decent command of the language is possible but you'll only have a partial understanding. It's good practice, I can vouch for that since that was what I did when I just started picking up Japanese, too. But don't even try translating because chances are 80% of it will be incorrect and you'd just be misleading those who don't know any better.