Shounen - Bleach by Tite Kubo | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Starrked

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Im on episode 120

i absolutely love it, the animation, the music

everything is awesome

i will be skipping all filler of course
I always play the Fake Karakura Town episodes, especially when the Vizards make their entrance because those scenes were some of the best well-written parts of the anime. Especially the episode where Hisgai fights the crab guy and completely slices him apart.

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Especially the episode where Hisgai fights the crab guy and completely slices him apart.
Was that Findor? Not that it's important. It was a great fight, one of my all time favourites, especially the part in which Hisagi releases his Shikai by a lengthy intro talk.

Starrked

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was that Findor? Not that it's important. It was a great fight, one of my all time favourites, especially the part in which Hisagi releases his Shikai by a lengthy intro talk.
Yeah that's the one. I remember fanboying so hard when he released his shikai and just went ape shit on everything that Findor had. "Half my mask is gone so now I'm at VC level. 75% of my mask is gone so I'm at captain level now!" And then Hisagi laughs at him for thinking that's how strong a captain is and slices him apart. Bravo, Hisagi. Bravo.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Crackpot theory, what if the first person ever to have his bankai stolen was aizen? Aizen suspiciously did not use his bankai against the gotei 13 and even against ichigo when he was having his ass handed to him. We have seen from shinigami that not having a bankai has pushed them to improve their basic abilities and to a great extent (even if not to the point where those abilities could replace bankai). Suifen mastered her shunko, hitsugaya developed a new fighting technique, komamura got his clan's secret.... Byakuya advanced his shikai to the point where it actually matches or even surpasses the power of his former bankai (although that probably has something to do with the reiatsu boost from his royal training too). So what if aizen had an encounter with juhabach and had his bankai stolen (by someone other than juhabach though)? That would force him to rely on his shikai and perhaps was a motivation to improve it to the point we saw it. Aizen could have used his shikai to fake a bankai and become a captain too.

Starrked

Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be insane if Aizen's bankai was stolen before all of this happened.

Duniak

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Crackpot theory, what if the first person ever to have his bankai stolen was aizen? Aizen suspiciously did not use his bankai against the gotei 13 and even against ichigo when he was having his ass handed to him. We have seen from shinigami that not having a bankai has pushed them to improve their basic abilities and to a great extent (even if not to the point where those abilities could replace bankai). Suifen mastered her shunko, hitsugaya developed a new fighting technique, komamura got his clan's secret.... Byakuya advanced his shikai to the point where it actually matches or even surpasses the power of his former bankai (although that probably has something to do with the reiatsu boost from his royal training too). So what if aizen had an encounter with juhabach and had his bankai stolen (by someone other than juhabach though)? That would force him to rely on his shikai and perhaps was a motivation to improve it to the point we saw it. Aizen could have used his shikai to fake a bankai and become a captain too.

Crackpot Theory, what if Kyoka Suigetsu actually was his Bankai? He always says her/his/its name while releasing (unless he had done it before they started to fight--> FKKT). It's part of a ritual, that Aizen needs to do. I'm not sure if he did it in HM against Barragan, though. I mean, it's so strong, Shikai is enough to fight against ANYTHING, all captains' Bankais included. Unless it's some kind of a "make one wish a reality" ability, I can't see anything stronger.

Or... we all are under KS effect, and Aizen in jail isn't real Aizen. He didn't lose his sword, he just used his Bankai, which somehow made it all a reality, created perfect copy of himself, with no ilusion or someone to be his double like 110 years ago. Why would he do it? Because he was injured after Mugetsu and decided to escape.

And he did fake his Bankai. According to Isane his bankai was connected to mist? or something and made people fight each other because they fought the other guy was an enemy. Nothing easier with KS's Illusion.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Crackpot Theory, what if Kyoka Suigetsu actually was his Bankai? He always says her/his/its name while releasing (unless he had done it before they started to fight--> FKKT). It's part of a ritual, that Aizen needs to do. I'm not sure if he did it in HM against Barragan, though. I mean, it's so strong, Shikai is enough to fight against ANYTHING, all captains' Bankais included. Unless it's some kind of a "make one wish a reality" ability, I can't see anything stronger.

Or... we all are under KS effect, and Aizen in jail isn't real Aizen. He didn't lose his sword, he just used his Bankai, which somehow made it all a reality, created perfect copy of himself, with no ilusion or someone to be his double like 110 years ago. Why would he do it? Because he was injured after Mugetsu and decided to escape.

And he did fake his Bankai. According to Isane his bankai was connected to mist? or something and made people fight each other because they fought the other guy was an enemy. Nothing easier with KS's Illusion.
To be honest I don't think his shikai is hax to that extreme. It is without a doubt a dangerous ability however I am under the impression that the manga itself hints at a few flaws in the ability. I have pointed out before that aizen has never actually attacked anyone without that person noticing the attack in the last second. Basically the illusion seems to wear off right as aizen is actually going to commence his attack. We did not see that against harribel because he attacked from behind however there are also the instances when aizen attacked komamura at SS arc and yamamoto. Aizen became visible to komamura exactly as aizen was about to use his kido and yamamoto actually noticed aizen behind him and took the change to grab him. On the other hand captains have shown they can actually react to attacks which they see coming in the last second and dodge them even if only barely. Take hitsugaya when he fought gin, he had shinso a millimeter away from his eye and barely saw it coming (given that it came from gin's haori) and he still got to dodge it. We have seen other roughly similar situations involving shunpo or really close attacks and in most cases captains can actually deal with those. So why is it so different with aizen and his shikai? Aizen simply has an overwhelming amount of power compared to everyone else except perhaps yamamoto. Its not that KS was an overwhelming ability that couldn't be fought against, the issue is aizen having so much power that his shikai appeared to be that hax. Aizen was the sort of guy that could stop a bankai with his bare hands with no consequence whatever at large... I mean, he stopped ichigo.s bankai with his bare hands, more than easily speedblitz multiple captains including ichigo with and without his mask even though ichigo was by no means under the effect of KS. Aizen was by no means a one trick pony with an overwhelming ability, he was an insanely powerful guy that could make his most basic sword ability made a massively powerful military organization bend over.

As for the isane bit, she was talking about what she thought his shikai did. Aizen told them his shikai could control vapor or something to create mirages or something. Which was a huge lie.

jimtors

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
If kubo hasn't showed Kroyaku's uki's uraha's isshhin, from the author standpoint, it is also fair to hold on to the villain's strongest trump card to make the manga exciting. Hence KS is still a shikai. KS is strong not because of it's ability but because of who wields it and how he uses it.

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
I agree with kkck that what made Aizen truly fearsome was his overwhelming power, Gin made the same point in FKT arc. The manga has showed similar hax abilities since, like Gwenael's and Gremi's recently but it seems they aren't powerful enough to put their abilities to good use. It's perhaps early to talk about Gremi but I doubt he'll prove victorious against Kenpachi.

Impossibility

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
I think the most limiting factor has always been the fact that Aizen can't just whip KS out against an opponent unless he's done his ritual to entrap them in his illusion. It seems like a pretty convenient ability for a schemer willing to spend a few centuries ensnaring his future foes, but less so when fighting an opponent you've zero history with or you haven't been given a chance to interact with. Aizen's shikai is the only one that has such a requirement, any requirement whatsoever seemingly. I see this requirement as the only reason Isshin managed to battle Aizen for any amount of time, while the other captains that faced him. bar Yamamoto, never stood a chance.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To be honest I don't think using his ability is battle is that big an issue for him. The "ritual" is simply the act of releasing his shikai, a completely normal sword release. It does not take a huge amount of time nor extra effort on his part than any other sword release. In the war against him getting new people under his illusion could be an issue however that is only because SS actually knew those specific details (and that only happened because aizen gave unohana a very detailed, and accurate, explanation of his ability) of his ability and told the one strong persona allied with the gotei 13 about it. In any scenario where his abilities are unknown (which should be the standard scenario) aizen could casually make his pose (assuming the particular pose is necessary) and release his sword. His hypothetical enemy will do the one logical thing he can do which is stare as intensely as possible at the sword in hopes of finding out its abilities as soon as possible.

Impossibility

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
To be honest I don't think using his ability is battle is that big an issue for him. The "ritual" is simply the act of releasing his shikai, a completely normal sword release. It does not take a huge amount of time nor extra effort on his part than any other sword release. In the war against him getting new people under his illusion could be an issue however that is only because SS actually knew those specific details (and that only happened because aizen gave unohana a very detailed, and accurate, explanation of his ability) of his ability and told the one strong persona allied with the gotei 13 about it. In any scenario where his abilities are unknown (which should be the standard scenario) aizen could casually make his pose (assuming the particular pose is necessary) and release his sword. His hypothetical enemy will do the one logical thing he can do which is stare as intensely as possible at the sword in hopes of finding out its abilities as soon as possible.

Is it though? When he used it on Barragan he was forced to keep his attention on his blade by blatantly demanding he look at his zan. Now if this is a battle where an opponent feels the need to have a long conversation, which admittedly is probably most Bleach battles where foes feel the need to chat about anything and everything, Aizen probably wouldn't have much problem getting his opponent to watch him do his thing. However, if his opponent isn't interested in standing back and is interested only in taking him down, there isn't much chance for him to entrap them. Also, I just wondered, what happens if there isn't anyone watching when he releases?

Duniak

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Poland
To be honest I don't think his shikai is hax to that extreme. It is without a doubt a dangerous ability however I am under the impression that the manga itself hints at a few flaws in the ability. I have pointed out before that aizen has never actually attacked anyone without that person noticing the attack in the last second. Basically the illusion seems to wear off right as aizen is actually going to commence his attack. We did not see that against harribel because he attacked from behind however there are also the instances when aizen attacked komamura at SS arc and yamamoto. Aizen became visible to komamura exactly as aizen was about to use his kido and yamamoto actually noticed aizen behind him and took the change to grab him.
It's not like Aizen disappears. He just is somewhere else. Of course he'd be visible for Komamura. Was it the real Aizen, though? Yamamoto could tell it's Aizen only because Aizen stabbed him. I don't think it's any feat to grab a guy who's stabbing you. Zaraki could dodge attacks because he felt them touch his skin and avoided fatal wounds. Yamamoto was stabbed, and then he grabbed it.

So why is it so different with aizen and his shikai? Aizen simply has an overwhelming amount of power compared to everyone else except perhaps yamamoto. Its not that KS was an overwhelming ability that couldn't be fought against, the issue is aizen having so much power that his shikai appeared to be that hax.
Fooling whole SS (Unohana excluded) about him getting killed, made G13 believe some guy was him during TBTP, in FKKT fought whole G13 and survived because he used KS. He didn't escape with his power. His KS IS overkill and hax, but it's not made for simple 1v1 battle. It's made to fool lots of people at once. Hell, he could create his image and make Ichigo fight illusion, then stab him like he did Hallibel. Then he just needs to run away from his range and use his ability again. Nothing easier. Remember what he did to Barragan? He made it look like Gin and Tousen are just standing there, while they exterminated his army. Which doesn't mean it sux in 1v1. It's not giving him any direct advantage. But if he makes someone fight an ilusion... Or make his Kyoka Suigetsu a fake Aizen (as he did when he met Unohana), he can make anything, against anyone. He could even fool Juha.

As for the isane bit, she was talking about what she thought his shikai did. Aizen told them his shikai could control vapor or something to create mirages or something. Which was a huge lie.
We don't know if he presented his Shikai. He presented KS, and if it's Bankai, he presented his Bankai, but made it look like it was flowing water-type. I don't believe myself that Aizen showed everything, it'd be too lame. He'll be the final villain after all, he needs to mindfuck a little. Yeah, I think Juha won't be the final boss.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's not like Aizen disappears. He just is somewhere else. Of course he'd be visible for Komamura. Was it the real Aizen, though? Yamamoto could tell it's Aizen only because Aizen stabbed him. I don't think it's any feat to grab a guy who's stabbing you. Zaraki could dodge attacks because he felt them touch his skin and avoided fatal wounds. Yamamoto was stabbed, and then he grabbed it.

Fooling whole SS (Unohana excluded) about him getting killed, made G13 believe some guy was him during TBTP, in FKKT fought whole G13 and survived because he used KS. He didn't escape with his power. His KS IS overkill and hax, but it's not made for simple 1v1 battle. It's made to fool lots of people at once. Hell, he could create his image and make Ichigo fight illusion, then stab him like he did Hallibel. Then he just needs to run away from his range and use his ability again. Nothing easier. Remember what he did to Barragan? He made it look like Gin and Tousen are just standing there, while they exterminated his army. Which doesn't mean it sux in 1v1. It's not giving him any direct advantage. But if he makes someone fight an ilusion... Or make his Kyoka Suigetsu a fake Aizen (as he did when he met Unohana), he can make anything, against anyone. He could even fool Juha.

We don't know if he presented his Shikai. He presented KS, and if it's Bankai, he presented his Bankai, but made it look like it was flowing water-type. I don't believe myself that Aizen showed everything, it'd be too lame. He'll be the final villain after all, he needs to mindfuck a little. Yeah, I think Juha won't be the final boss.
As for the bold part, that was pretty much my point. In a battle it is just an ability with its own flaws and limitations. Aizen being able to use it as effectively as he did is merely because he was that much more powerful than everyone else.

As for yamamoto
http://www.mangapanda.com/94-47594-11/bleach/chapter-393.html
He did notice aizen behind him before the stab, he reacted to it.

As for the isane bit, aizen was definitely talking about his shikai. The whole thing never hints at his bankai and what aizen explains at the time is his shikai. Even right before he explains his ability he showed his sword release with the whole "shatter, kyoka suigetsu". I guess it is plausible he used his shikai to trick them into thinking they were observing a bankai but I don't think we actually have reason to think that. Everything at the time matches perfectly with his shikai abilities.

Duniak

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Poland
As for the bold part, that was pretty much my point. In a battle it is just an ability with its own flaws and limitations. Aizen being able to use it as effectively as he did is merely because he was that much more powerful than everyone else.
Which doesn't make that ability just overpowered and hax. And mindfucking. And the ultimate troll.

As for yamamoto
http://www.mangapanda.com/94-47594-11/bleach/chapter-393.html
He did notice aizen behind him before the stab, he reacted to it.
Aizen didn't go for a kill, though. He had to make nice expression to fit the panel, and then attack. But it's irrelevant. xd

If it WAS Aizen, he didn't use his KS at all.

As for the isane bit, aizen was definitely talking about his shikai. The whole thing never hints at his bankai and what aizen explains at the time is his shikai
Correct me if I'm wrong, he just explains KS's ability, but never states it actually IS his Shikai. He always goes "Kyoka Suigetsu's" "My Zanpakuto's" "Ohmaygawd it's awesome and can make a dragon fly by a person or something"

Even right before he explains his ability he showed his sword release with the whole "shatter, kyoka suigetsu". I guess it is plausible he used his shikai to trick them into thinking they were observing a bankai but I don't think we actually have reason to think that. Everything at the time matches perfectly with his shikai abilities.
Release? I'm pretty sure "Shatter, Kyoka Suigetsu" breaks off the illusion. Unless his Bankai is complete hypnosis, and activating Shikai destroys that illusion (because there is different ability), I don't think it's his command release. If KS's Shikai hypnotizes, why does the illusion disappear when he says "Scatter Kyoka Suigetsu"? It was the same with Barragan.

http://www.mangareader.net/94-29787-10/bleach/chapter-371.html

He doesn't say "Shatter".

When he DOES say it:

http://www.mangareader.net/94-29787-15/bleach/chapter-371.html

Illusion is broken. Shikais always start with one word (words, or none if you're Ichigo), then there comes the name. "Shatter, Kyoka Suigetsu" fits the bill, it looks like release command, but when he activated it, he didn't say "Shatter". That's why I think Kyoka Suigetsu itself is his Bankai, and "Shatter, Kyoka Suigetsu" is a command to break illusion OR it's his Shikai. His Bankai and Shikai would have the same name then, the only difference would be "Shatter". He's a god of trolls, I can see it happen.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Good point about the shatter part. Still, it does not make sense that it is bankai. Why would aizen simply not say "bankai" or something when using it? Not to mention there is nothing of the usual reiatsu release which usually accompanies bankai. The shikai and bankai having the same name does not make sense either. Unohana had something like that however in her case there is a difference in what minazuki means in both stages (flesh drop gorge and all things end). Aizen does not seem to have that. At a bare minimum I think we can agree in that we have seen only one release state from aizen's kyoka suigetsu.

Duniak

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Good point about the shatter part. Still, it does not make sense that it is bankai. Why would aizen simply not say "bankai" or something when using it? Not to mention there is nothing of the usual reiatsu release which usually accompanies bankai. The shikai and bankai having the same name does not make sense either
Well, Imma quote my idol, Trollzen. "Since when did you think I'm not using it?". How can you see him releasing his Bankai or reiatsu boost? Does reiatsu boost/explosion happen in ability-based Bankais? While it is true for Ichigo or Renji, I don't think Kyoraku's or Ukitake's Bankai will be accompanied with huge reiatsu release. Yamaji Bankai also didn't have any reiatsu boost. Even so, why do you think he's not in "Bankai" already? :P He activated it before he started fighting in FKKT, he was using it all the time during TBTP, he was using it all along in SS arc, his fake corpse was made with it. Why wouldn't he say "Bankai"? Because you never saw him release his Zanpakuto. He performed the ritual when he was in *some level of Zan release*, then made illusions shatter. In both FKKT and SS he didn't do anything. He haven't said "Bankai" because we've never seen him release.

Yeah, Bankai and Shikai having the same name doesn't make sense, unless his Shikai is like Unohana's or Yumichika's. Or "Shatter, KS" is just a command in his Bankai/Shikai. Or he calls his Shikai with a fake name, maybe. Pissed off Zanpakuto would break the illusion that he made then. :P Wrong names of Zanpakutos is kind of in fashion nowadays...

Unohana had something like that however in her case there is a difference in what minazuki means in both stages (flesh drop gorge and all things end). Aizen does not seem to have that. At a bare minimum I think we can agree in that we have seen only one release state from aizen's kyoka suigetsu.
Yeah, or maybe he doesn't have a Bankai, at all. Why doesn't he have Bankai? Easy, because he would be too strong and would be ostracized further. Finally, when he wanted to get stronger, he researched something else than "simple" next level of Zanpakuto, if his Shikai was plenty. He wanted to transcend Shinigamis. But he did say he mastered ALL Shinigami Arts, Zanjutsu included, so he does have Bankai. So I'll still think KS is his Bankai and wait for some troll from Kubo. xd Also, if he has Bankai and it's NOT KS, why didn't he use it against Ichigo? He almost died, his Zanpakuto crumbled, he then got sealed. Why didn't he use it against Yamaji or G13? Why did he keep it a secret to the very end? Or he did use it... as Kyoka Suigetsu, who knows. It's a crackpot theory, don't expect me to know what I'm talking about, I'm making shit up on the spot. :D

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think, this is where Kubo's writing of his characters get people mixed up, because you just hit on a very important point here. Of course, Unohana is the "first" Kenpachi, but she obviously put aside the title for the lead role as Captain of the 4th Division. And she is skilled in healing arts, so I doubt she's dead. More than likely, now that Zaraki's mind is unclouded and back to it's original instinctive state or whatever, she's at peace with revoking the title of Kenpachi and handing it down to someone worthy of it.

If she is dead, than Kubo is on some bullsh*t.

Yeah, Kubo is on some bullish*t. Peace and Love to Unohana Yachiru Retsu.

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
How significant was it when Aizen messed Bach's perception of time....I didn't like that scene. Felt like Bach lost a few points as this arc's big bad.