Discussion - Blackbeard Pirates Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Blackbeard Pirates Discussion Thread

redzrae

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
With blackbeard pirates' 10 titanic captains devil fruit powers slowly being revealed, I want to know your thoughts of a possible match ups versus Strawhats'

1. Marshall D. Teach - Yami Yami no Mi (Darkness)
2. Shiryu - Suke Suke no mi (Invisibility)
3. Burgess - Riki Riki no mi (Strength)
4. Van Auger - Wapu Wapu no mi (Teleport)
5. Laffitte - unknown
6. Catarina Devon - Inu Inu no mi, model: Kyubi no kitsune
7. Avalo Pizarro - Shima Shima no mi (Island)
8. San Juan Wolf - Deka Deka no mi (Huge)
9. Vasco Shot - Gabu Gabu no mi (liquor human)
10. Doc Q - Shiku Shiku no mi (Disease) and Stronger Uma Uma no mi: model Pegasus
11. Unknown

Only Laffitte's devil fruit power is not revealed so far, so I think it would make sense for her to go to Egghead island for a proper introduction. And maybe together with the 10th captain, if there is.

What are your thoughts?

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Lafitte had wings in Impel Down, and is most likely a Zoan

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
We've had a match up thread made a few times already, so instead of just merging this with another thread in a lesser used section, I went ahead and made this the Blackbeard Pirates discussion thread, so we can discuss potential match ups and the general group.

As for the topic, I'll just quote myself:

I'm still of the opinion that Oda is going to have the two crews match off based on their roles in the crew. If I recall correctly, they are the only other pirates in the series that have had an emphasis placed on their individual roles along with the Strawhats. At least, initially.

Luffy vs BB: Not only are they Captains, but they've been thematically opposed since their introduction.

Zoro vs Shiryu: Swordsman vs Swordsman. Not only that, but Shiryu is completely antithetical to the type of swordsperson Zoro is. He lies and breaks promises and, now, he has a fruit that allows him to turn invisible and allows for sneak attacks. He's completely dishonorable.

Sanji vs Vasco Shot: Nothing to gather from this one yet except Vasco Shot's favorite food is a sherry used mainly for cooking and that his Vivre Card noted him to be particularly dangerous.

Jinbei vs Jesus Burguess: Helmsman vs Helmsman. Wrestling vs Jiu Jitsu, thus grappler vs grappler.

Franky vs San Juan Wolf: As already mentioned, a giant mech battle with the Thousand Sunny functioning as the Mech vs San Juan Wolf just makes sense.

Robin vs Caterina Devon: Nothing much to gather here either, but Robin would likely be a target for Devon based on the latter's MO of hunting beautiful women and I can see Oda continuing the Robin vs Yokai thing that Black Maria had.

Brook vs Avalo Pizzaro: Absolutely thing to gather from here, unfortunately. Just the leftover Blackbeard Pirate member.

Usopp vs Van Auger: Sniper vs Sniper. Nothing else.

Chopper vs Doc Q and Stronger: Doctor vs Doctor. Ethical vs unethical. Doc Q willingly puts people in harm's way to test their fate.

Nami vs Lafitte: Navigator vs Navigator. Nothing else to go on here. If you want a reach, given Lafitte's hypnosis, it could turn into a who could control my underlings better gag with Nami and Zeus vs Laffite and whoever he's hypnotized.
A lot of these are self-explanatory, but I'll go into a bit more detail for some.

Sanji vs Vasco Shot: We've got a bit more from his character, so I'm doubling down on this match up. Oda basically implied that he's a r*pist with the comment on Hancock and, while Sanji has his issues with women, it's not to that extent and he will most certainly not stand for Vasco even hinting at forcing himself on a woman. The liquor fruit, I feel, will also play a role. I imagine it'll allow him to change whatever he touches to liquor, assuming he's the chef of the Blackbeard Pirates, I can see him clashing with Sanji if he wastes foods just to turn them into liquor.

Jinbe vs Burgess: Burgess is likely going to be the strongest character alive due to his fruit and general methods of combat will likely be ineffective. So it'll be up to Jinbe's Jiu-Jitsu to turn Burgess' strength against him.

Brook vs Avalo Pizzaro: Soul King vs Corrupt King. That's all I got. Also, I think it'd be a great fight if Brook were to fight against Avalo, not by beating him physically, but by attacking his soul. It'd give him the means to fight Avalo on his own "turf" so to speak as Avalo's soul inhabits the entire island due to his fruit.

Last edited:

redhairSH

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Straw Hat vs Blackbead Match ups theory:

Luffy vs Teach

obvious prediction, captain vs captai, emperor vs emperor

Zoro vs Shiryuu

another obvious, swordsman vs swordsman, honorable warrior vs invisible man who attacks from behind

BurgEss vs Jinbei

Helmsman vs Helmsman, strength vs technique

Van Auger vs Ussop

sniper vs sniper, warping vs observstion haki, rifle vs slingshot

Lafitte vs Nami

navigator vs navigator, winged devil fruit power vs the art of weather, cane vs clima tact/Zeus

Chopper vs Stronger and Doc Q

Doctor vs Doctor, animal vs animal, sick fruit and Pegasus vs awakened monster point?

Robin vs Devon

Devon beheads beautiful women, robin is one, nine tailed fox vs devil robin

The last few I don’t really know who could face who, so here are some theories and reasons for each

Sanji vs Pizaro
former north blue prince vs former north blue king
Sanji vs San Juan Wolf
Just like wadstsumi fight, but solo, no jinbei for assistance
Sanji vs Vasco
if Vascos liqor fruit will give him a drunken fist with flami fists, that could be cool

Franky vs Pizaro
BF-39, sunny mech vs island man?
Franky vs San Juan Wolf
BF-39 sunny mech vs really reall big giant?
Franky vs Vasco
Cola power vs liquor power?

brook vs pizaro
soul king vs corrupt king, soul vs physical
brook vs San Juan wolf
Both from west blue
brook vs Vasco
underworld ice powers vs fire liquor powers?

PeanutButterJelly

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
100% to happen
Luffy vs BB
Usopp vs Van Auger

Others:
Nami vs Devon. Nami always fights women, Devon was infamous for decapitation beautiful women, plus her DF allows Nami's charcater to play off her intelligence as to see through trickery, especially is she tries to mimick Sanji while showing aggression towards women or Luffy who she trusts 100%.

Wolf vs Jinbe. Wolf should already be a tad weakened in the water, while Jinbe is tremendously powerful in the sea or any body of sufficient water.

Brook vs Laffite. Music themed, Laffite might have a Siren DF, with his ability to control people with sound, Brook could mimic Orpheus playing to make his crew survive their encounters with them. Given that Brook doesn't have even a brain or ears, maybe he would be immune to his hypnosis.

Guesses for now:
Vasco has been shown to be a pervert, I could see him going against Robin, where she can just pop his balloons by sprouting arms.

Doc Q&Stronger, now , I'm pretty crazy, but if Vivi joins them at that point, I could see her and Chopper tag team them. Brook could also be immune to diseases, as he technically can't die from any of them or even catch them.

Pizzaro could also fight against Robin, as he can turn up anywhere takes to his fruit, which would make a good match up.

Franky vs Burgess, as they where both at Dressrosa.

If the 10th Captain turns out to be a sword user, I could see them fight Zoro, as Sanji being invisible while using his suit, would make for a good clash with Shiryu, especially if it would rain.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think the "confirmed" matchups are the following:

- Blackbeard vs luffy
- Shiliu vs Zoro
- Burgues vs Jinbe
- Laffitte vs Nami
- van augur vs ussop
- Doc Q vs chopper

With the BB pirates we know some of the roles they have or had in their crew (as titanic captains it's weird that burges would be the sole helmsman after all) but I do think these roles tell us who some strawhats might have. I do find some of the previous matchups somewhat strange though, primarily laffite vs nami. There are also still some roles which remain unknown. By process elimination I would also suggest the following matchups:

- Catarina vs nico robin. Basically cat vs the remaining hot female.
- Vasco shot vs brook. Maybe brook can freeze his alcohol.
- SJW vs franky. titanic manchild vs man? Sorry, I don't have any ideas here.
- Avalo pizarro vs sanji. Sanji vs buff pica.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I could see Kid joining the Blackbeard Pirates, while Law joins Luffy.

He's the type of character that just fits perfectly: he's cruel, but has redeeming qualities, could be a Yonkou in the long run, CoC, and he just got obliterated by Shanks, so he'll join Blackbeard, not because he trusts him, but because he wants revenge.

In fact, I'm honestly starting to question if this is Blackbeard's final crew setup... I think he'll replace some captains, given how most devil fruits have been beyond underwhelming, to the point that it almost seems intentional. They don't seem like a crew that could threaten the world's stability at all, and this last chapter seems to go in line with that notion. They're all expendable, right?

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I could see Kid joining the Blackbeard Pirates, while Law joins Luffy.

He's the type of character that just fits perfectly: he's cruel, but has redeeming qualities, could be a Yonkou in the long run, CoC, and he just got obliterated by Shanks, so he'll join Blackbeard, not because he trusts him, but because he wants revenge.

In fact, I'm honestly starting to question if this is Blackbeard's final crew setup... I think he'll replace some captains, given how most devil fruits have been beyond underwhelming, to the point that it almost seems intentional. They don't seem like a crew that could threaten the world's stability at all, and this last chapter seems to go in line with that notion. They're all expendable, right?
Law and Kid joining someone else's crew? I know their companions aren't great but I don't think it's going to happen.

Maybe Kuzan will leave, but I see no reason why anyone else would change unless they get killed. Teach picked them himself at Impel Down.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Law and Kid joining someone else's crew? I know their companions aren't great but I don't think it's going to happen.

Maybe Kuzan will leave, but I see no reason why anyone else would change unless they get killed. Teach picked them himself at Impel Down.
Well, when discussing Law and Kid, I think we need to look at the bigger picture.

Law, in particular, has been fleshed out to a point where he feels more familiar than certain Straw Hats right now. We know that he made it his goal to uncover the truth behind the Will of D, and he just got thrown out of the race for Laugh Tale. Oda was the one who made him this popular and his crew, just like you said, was the biggest argument against it, but they were never fleshed out, except for Bepo, who has a connection to Pedro. The fact that he just got obliterated by Blackbeard and the fodder crewmates left behind, while Law and Bepo were the only ones to escape, could be seen as Oda finally removing the final obstacle. I don't think the former captain argument held much weight anyways, considering Jinbei was also a former captain, but even if Law was a lot more prideful, I think he trusts and admires Luffy as much as any SH, and that he actually has panels verbalizing something like that. Bepo seems a bit out of place, but he might not even make it after going all out to save his captain, or simply have more of a secondary role, similar to the minks that followed Oden in his voyage.

Kid is in a similar situation to Law, but has had a lot less protagonism, and he'll surely want revenge on Shanks, so going the opposite route seems to fit.

The Titanic Captains thing might just be me feeling underwhelmed by their fruits, but Law did say that they had insane powers, so I'm probably wrong.
Perhaps I valued the Rocks comparison way too much, and felt like they don't hold a candle to that level of threat, but it's too early to tell.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Titanic Captains thing might just be me feeling underwhelmed by their fruits, but Law did say that they had insane powers, so I'm probably wrong.
Perhaps I valued the Rocks comparison way too much, and felt like they don't hold a candle to that level of threat, but it's too early to tell.
As you mentioned, it's too early to tell. Hindsight is 20/20 in regards to the Rocks Pirates as we saw what they became, but not really where they started from. They were notable, but not on the level of their "prime" selves. The Blackbeard Pirates are on that same trajectory. There's also the fact that the Level 6 prisoners are already infamous pirates in their own right, but Oda's been keeping them in the background for the most part, so we don't know what they are truly capable of at this point.

Sefirosu

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
After seeing the power of most BB's captains, here my match-up (exclude Kuzan):

1) Luffy vs BB
2) Zoro vs Shiryu
3) Sanji vs Burgess (Fire vs burn scar wrestler)
Also, Sanji can brag to Zoro for having fought "number 1" while Zoro only fought "number 2".
4) Jinbe vs Shot (Water vs Fire)
5) Robin vs Wolf (Giant Devil vs Giant Monster)
6) Franky vs Pizarro (Robot vs "Robot"). With Vegapunk's research on giant robot, Franky Shogun will probably got an upgrade.
7) Ussop vs Augur (sniper battle)
8) Nami vs Devon (trickery battle)
9) Chopper vs Doc Q & Stronger. Maybe Monster point against DF buffed Stronger while working on a cure against Doc Q's power.
10) Brook vs Laffitte (Hypnosis battle)

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Wouldn't Franky vs Burgess be cyborg vs cyborg?

Sefirosu

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Franky now fight using Franky Shogun so I thought Pizarro is a more fitting opponent for him :)

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
wait Burgess is a cyborg? he saw a metal plate i just assumed that's from injuries fighting sabo

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
wait Burgess is a cyborg? he saw a metal plate i just assumed that's from injuries fighting sabo
Well... cyborg vs cyborg / person with metal protesis

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
aah. okay. i guess the cyborg vs strength would work as well....