Better late than Never..... | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Better late than Never.....

POW

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I just recently got into Berserk after watching the newer Golden Age Arc OVA I was really fascinated.

It's funny I remember several years ago a friend of mine recommending me to watch Berserk but I didn't really like the old 90's anime version ( I still dont). I do like the newer 2016 anime but waiting for the story was too slow so I decided to read the manga.

I just read 300+ manga chapters in 5 days a record even for me! I think it's safe to say I'm hooked and in "waiting for the next chapter agony" as the rest of you now.

(*_ * )> Welcome me aboard

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Did you read from the beginning? They skipped a lot of things in the movies.

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Near the beginning where the Holy Chain Knights come in. I may have skipped over some of the stuff i felt I have seen before but I may go back and read that now to.

I know there are some differences but man it's but one hell of journey. I almost feel as exhausted as the main characters with the never ending trouble around ever corner that grows bigger with them barely making it out alive. They never just run into1 problem it always turns out to be a cluster youknowwhat .:zomg

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
For many the golden age arc is their favorite. Manga presents it in a different fashion. If you want to read it with better translation then you should either buy Dark horse's volumes or download the torrent from bakabt

Dragoon

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Well I just recently got into Berserk after watching the newer Golden Age Arc OVA I was really fascinated.

It's funny I remember several years ago a friend of mine recommending me to watch Berserk but I didn't really like the old 90's anime version ( I still dont). I do like the newer 2016 anime but waiting for the story was too slow so I decided to read the manga.

I just read 300+ manga chapters in 5 days a record even for me! I think it's safe to say I'm hooked and in "waiting for the next chapter agony" as the rest of you now.

(*_ * )> Welcome me aboard
Consider yourself lucky you weren't there for the best part... the BOOOOOOAT!!!!

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Welcome! One thing this manga excels at is re-readability. So in the long breaks we will get just reading the whole thing over again isn't bad, you will notice new details every time.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
Even if you have watched the anime and the movie and know all about the Golden Age but still you should read the manga. There is something in the narration and the artwork that keeps you alert while reading it. Muira keeps a feeling going throughout the arc. I am not talking about the brilliant artwork or crafty storytelling. Its the way a manga emotes and Muira uses this medium effectively. The narration, artwork and the story complement each other.

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I'm all caught up son I already read the earlier parts I skipped over. However when it comes to the "golden age arc" I prefer the OVA version despite editing out some stuff in the manga I think it's more seamless and grounded to build up to the eclipse event.

- For example they leave out Zod lending Guts his Horse Sword at the battle of Doldrey as well as him rescuing them from Wyland. I think it makes sense to leave these out as it reveals to much too early for the audience who may have never read the manga. It also keeps the story more grounded in the medieval story setting which makes the eclipse event seem even more bizarre and land with more impact at the end.

- From the manga perspective I understand why these elements are there and appreciate them but these particular events are not life changing. Also I get really annoyed how broken up the flashbacks where in the manga.

In any case I love the rest of the manga so it's all good.

smokeesid

Reaction score
Country
India
Oh I'm all caught up son I already read the earlier parts I skipped over. However when it comes to the "golden age arc" I prefer the OVA version despite editing out some stuff in the manga I think it's more seamless and grounded to build up to the eclipse event.
Who are you calling son? That is ridiculous. Anyway, what I have written in my post is the experience of not only mine but a few of my friends as well. First 3 volumes introduces some aspects and Guts with a certain amount of anxiety. That tension is retained until eclipse through many events. That is why I said that a feeling is retained throughout the arc in the manga.

- For example they leave out Zod lending Guts his Horse Sword at the battle of Doldrey as well as him rescuing them from Wyland. I think it makes sense to leave these out as it reveals to much too early for the audience who may have never read the manga. It also keeps the story more grounded in the medieval story setting which makes the eclipse event seem even more bizarre and land with more impact at the end.
They have already introduced Behelit earlier which is as supernatural as Zodd. Moreover they do have introduced Zodd in his apostle form earlier that gives enough signs of supernatural in the first movie.
- From the manga perspective I understand why these elements are there and appreciate them but these particular events are not life changing. Also I get really annoyed how broken up the flashbacks where in the manga.
Your problem if you got annoyed. They were major events connected to Guts and so they were important for proper characterization. Without it, it would be harder to relate with him in his struggle and the essence of the manga is wasted.

Last edited:

POW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Who are you calling son? That is ridiculous.

They have already introduced Behelit earlier which is as supernatural as Zodd. Moreover they do have introduced Zodd in his apostle form earlier that gives enough signs of supernatural in the first movie.
If your new to Berserk and watching the Golden Age arcs as a starter you don't know what the Behelit is. Also Zodds appearance in the first movie is more of teaser of what is to come later. As that is the only appearance of the supernatural until late in the 3rd movie without overwhelming the audience showing them that monsters are everywhere. Thus it truly feels like a very rare and uncommon event for the viewing audience.

This is obviously different from the manga where you are well aware of these factors by the time the golden arc rolls around.

Your problem if you got annoyed. They were major events connected to Guts and so they were important for proper characterization. Without it, it would be harder to relate with him in his struggle and the essence of the manga is wasted.
The film and manga are different beasts and thus conveying the essence of the manga to film is the idea. It doesn't always require every tiny detail to be exact. As for the flashbacks my annoyance was mainly the golden age being spaced apart instead of being seamless. In general love flashbacks that give us extra depth and detail into the characters past like the Guts Gambino flashback.