Discussion - Asahi's Edgy Past and his grudge against Soma | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Asahi's Edgy Past and his grudge against Soma

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, we need to talk something very concerning here. In the latest chapter, we now learn a bit about Asahi. We now seemly understand his antagonistic rivalry onto Soma to the point he outright hate the Yukihira Genius even without ever meeting the lad. Does it mean it deserves some sympathy from the reader though, considering his kidnapping onto Erina and force her to marry him through his twisted philosophy of "love"? Here how it goes from here

Born and raised at one of improvised neighborhood in the Americas, Asahi lived in a fatherless family with his alcoholic and abusive mother. Almost in a daily basis, Asahi was abused by his own mom due to her mental problem as the latter scorned him as if his own existence ruined her life. Following his mother's death at his age of 7, however, Asahi was adopted at an orphanage and his fateful meeting with Saiba has changed his life forever. During these good times, Saiba, despite him being Asahi's mentor, nurtured Asahi like his own first born son and even taught him cooking and traveled across the world. This was possibly Asahi's first and only happiest times he knew in his lifetime. Tragically, on the age of 15, his happiness was cut short when Saiba informed Asahi that he had to leave America for Japan after hearing the death of his beloved wife-who happened to be the late mother of Soma-and he might unable to return to America again- meaning Asahi would live his life in solitude. This alone sowed the seeds of hatred within Asahi against Soma to the point he outright blamed his future rival for robbing his only happiness he ever knew. To make matters worse, in order to take back that very happiness, he vowed to "become" Soma so he can repay his "humiliation" 10 fold to our favorite Red-Haired Chef.

So how do you think about Asahi's own tragic story that shaped him into what he is now, as well as his antagonistic relationship with Soma?

Last edited:

Seraph

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Finland
I personally found it dumb that Asahi would direct any sort of anger or hatred towards Souma,a Kid that had lost its Mother and never did anything to him either.

I also think some fault lies with Jouichiro for not keeping any contact with him or not taking him along back to Japan by just adopting him,or having Dojima/Senzaemon enroll him at Totsuki or something. I'm sure this could've been settled without Asahi having to stay behind going down his road of Life on his own.

His past itself was sad in my Opinion,a bit shocking as well i guess but certainly not an excuse to become a Noir or bear his Anger towards Souma.
I feel like the reader is supposed to sympathise with Asahi to an extent but not excuse or justify his methods/plans either,and just view him as what he really is. A Villain.