Politics - 2012 USA Presidential Elections | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Politics 2012 USA Presidential Elections

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
He looked like he was having a fever or something the first time. I don't think it was planned but rather him being sick or something and then the 2nd time he felt like he did the last campaign and he will continue like he did the 2nd time throughout the election.

At least, that's what I think.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
---------- Post added October 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was October 22, 2012 at 08:28 PM ----------

Well, it seems voters think romney got his ass handed to him.

Anyways, thinking about it does it make sense romney would win this debates? Looking back both of them have law backgrounds however at some point romney got into business and obama went into teaching for over a decade. Basically while Romney was dedicating his time to making money and whatever else he normally does obama was dedicating his time to the academics. Taking this into consideration how much of a chance did romney have here to begin with? It would barely even matter who is right in the debate, the whole thing would be more of obama's field to begin with.

Perhaps another consideration is the scope of the debate. Perhaps romney's fields in this case would be the micro areas while obama will end having an advantage in the macro areas of the debate.

Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the point of losing the first debate then doing exceptionally well in the next few? Why not be consistent through all of them?

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What's the point of losing the first debate then doing exceptionally well in the next few? Why not be consistent through all of them?
Because of the media, the poll results, debate results and stuff are dictated by them. They put pressure on him, the only opposite being Fox News, of the major ones that is against him, and still ANY publicity is GOOD publicity, even negative. So Obama had to bring up the talking points like the "47 percent" to the table. Though in history how will this be remembered:

1st : Romney
2nd: Obama
3rd: Obama

So that is that, in the time of tv media is dying out though. Let's hope the debates have more meaning in the future, when the Internet steps in more and more.

BASED Shinigami

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As a first time voter I'm excited to cast my ballot finally, but at the same time not really because I don't really like Obama or Romney. I do wonder if Romney stands a better chance of winning this election than John McCain did in 08.

foxinthestars

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I watched that online, much more enjoyable than the Obama/Romney debate. They're going to have a second one next week with two of the third-party candidates; you can go to freeandequal.org and vote for who you want to be in the second one. (I'm guessing it'll be Gary Johnson and Jill Stein, but I could be wrong.)

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Say, is this kind of stuff normal? It feels awkward to me, at the very least, not to say disgusting, so I'd really like to know :oh

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Elections are getting more and more decadent, no surprise for me.^^ The media in 2008 around this time all agreed that Obama would be president. Well, not this time around, though Romney is surging it seems, from the last few polls, it will be neck and neck I wonder if it will be announced that before the voting they are indeed neck and neck or give one of them the edge?

Key things I think that are important for the two of them:

Obama: Big banks support him, drones(killings)/Pakistan, Peace prize winner ... but war in Libya, oh yes it was an "intervention". :teehee Orwell where art thou?, the third debate made Obama look like Bush in every aspect, he wants to attack Iran and Syria. Betrayed his voters with his Foreign Policy I think. Domestic ... well, too much political correctness so I will not mention.

Romney: Big banks support him too, vulture capitalists, flip-flopping on every issue - social issues mostly, traditional warmongering from him. He does not seem to have a solid opinion on anything, he feels too plastic and forced with his weird smiles and facial expressions.

America, pick your poison!

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
While there it is perfectly possible for romney to win I doubt he will. Obama has not been a great president IMO but in the grand scheme of things most of the US population does not seem to think he was terrible or that things are actually worst than 4 years ago when obama was made president. So if things one way or another are somehow better than 4 years ago why would they change to romney? I don't think obama has necessarily been a huge force in whatever increase the economy has had over the last 4 years however one way or the other the economy being slightly better than it was 4 years ago along with the extra people getting services (those will never vote for anyone else ever) will be enough to get him the small margin whichever of them is going to win with.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Say, is this kind of stuff normal? It feels awkward to me, at the very least, not to say disgusting, so I'd really like to know :oh
I would agree on that being at least awkward. I would worry more about the working conditions on that matter though, it seems like the sort of situation which would at least unintentionally cause some awkward working conditions for those who are not in line with the company's opinion. It is not in the interest of companies to cause conflict between their employes regarding political matters either. Then again, my experience with US folk so far has lead me to believe that they consider their political views to be highly private and overall avoid those discussions so perhaps it is not a big deal in that department. Anyways, as awkward as companies suggesting votes to their employes is, I admit the opposite, not allowing company owners to say anything would be awkward for me too. I mean, company owners, even if immensely wealthy, are still just people too.... And there is no way to ultimately force anyone to vote for anyone.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
well except if you threaten your employees with the boot if Obama should win. that is somewhat near blackmail I think and the bad thing is, they know where people live and the results are published for rather small administrative units as well, no?

for the other point, that's free speech. as long as he's in private, he can say whatever he wants. using company resources and company money to campaign for one side is so-so. what they should do is promote democracy and open later to give people time for the elections if that's not done already xP

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
well except if you threaten your employees with the boot if Obama should win. that is somewhat near blackmail I think and the bad thing is, they know where people live and the results are published for rather small administrative units as well, no?

for the other point, that's free speech. as long as he's in private, he can say whatever he wants. using company resources and company money to campaign for one side is so-so. what they should do is promote democracy and open later to give people time for the elections if that's not done already xP
Well, I guess it depends too... It is entirely possible that any given law that obama is going for could in some form have a negative impact for a specific business. I mean, obama is going for raising taxes. Increased taxes means a decrease in return rates for a business and it is perfectly reasonable that could be what pushes a company to opt for layoffs. I don't think they actually publish who each individual voted for. Even if they publish district information on the matter they would still not be reasonable enough proof of anything unless the company proceeds to fire people based on district results. Even then, I don't think companies in the states would actually risk something like that in such an obvious manner, they would get swarmed by lawsuits in under a minute.

I am pretty sure that in the states corporations are allowed to support candidates though. As for what the article said companies were doing it really is not a drain of resources or anything so far. I mean, sending emails is basically free and takes no time and memos are not significantly different.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Of course it's a bad thing, but our "Supreme Law of the Land" says all that's cool now. It only took two years for SuperPACs to completely dominate our elections so this isn't really a big surprise.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
On another topic, what do you guys think will be the impact of the storm in the elections? It has gotten pretty rough and it happened right at the dawn of the elections. If help for those who need it has any flaws in it it could actually easily be used against obama. The election is closed but depending on what happens it could actually turn the tide towards one side.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
It doesn't even take help having flaws I think. The fact that power is out and people have to handle the crisis now in this mainly democrat area iirc could prove deadly to Obamas presidency. On the other hands, cities might not suffer as much as the rural areas, well except for New York, but anyway, looking forward to all the publications coming in on that matter >.<

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Every news outlet I've come in contact with has said positive things about the way the President has handled this situation, even Republican Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey (who has been vocal against Obama on EVERYTHING) praised him on how quickly he handled this crisis to help his and other states. I doubt this will affect the election, but if anything it makes Obama look better.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So it is basically a dead heat as we head into the last few days? A few news sources and polls have Romney surging even in states that are mostly Democratic, as in he is making Obamas lead in those less bigger. Others though have Obama leading the polls just by a bit. But the thing I gather from both is that it will all be decided with swing states that have a lot of electoral votes, Ohio most probably will decide this election.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
That is right. The popular election looks like a dead heat, everything will come down to a handful of swing states, Ohio most prominently. Virginia, Florida, North Caroline, and Colorado should also be critical. Obama has no business winning this election. Even if not his fault, sitting Presidents never win when the economy is this stagnant. That the election is so close shows how weak a candidate Romney is.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Every news outlet I've come in contact with has said positive things about the way the President has handled this situation, even Republican Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey (who has been vocal against Obama on EVERYTHING) praised him on how quickly he handled this crisis to help his and other states. I doubt this will affect the election, but if anything it makes Obama look better.
It may not help, but handling the Sandy cleanup poorly would definitely have hurt. Bush's poor handling of Katrina was a key factor behind Democrat gains in the 2008 and 2010 elections. The Republicans were seen as not only uncaring, but negligent in the face of an unprecedented natural disaster. Politics came before human lives and it cost the Republicans dearly.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well the job numbers sure seem to go against Obama this time, compared to the September numbers October was a worst month when it came to job growth.

http://www.mnn.com/money/green-workplace/blogs/october-2012-unemployment-rate-is-79

I do not know, but the conservative side has been pushing that the numbers are not real at all, and by all means far worst, which I think it is true when you compare it to all of the other economic news.

Though as we get closer and closer to the end, the usual left and right positions fade in comparison to unemployment and the economy. Obama was presenting his plan to the crowd asking them to compare it to Romney and stuff.

It very well may end up with Romney winning the popular vote but Obama taking the votes from the electoral collage, much like 2000.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Pretty sweet site to test and see which candidate & party you have most in common with.

Seems like I've gone from quite green to quite libertarian lately... -my results here-