Discussion - 2008 Summer Olympics (Beijing) | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion 2008 Summer Olympics (Beijing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Assuming it is true that some on the Chinese team are underage, then in my opinion, I think it would be best if the USA team accept the results, as is. I'd much prefer that the USA team are not perceived as sore losers because of all of this.

Technically, the USA team deserve the gold because the Chinese cheated. But at the same time, based on the competition itself, the Chinese won, fair and square. The latter should take precedence.

The only people who deserves to be penalized here are those who faked their passports, and the Olympic committee, for failing to verify their age. It sucks, but this shit happens.
If the women's Chinese team did have members underage then I think they should be stripped of the gold medal. They violated the rules and should be penalized for it. However, I don't think the US's team should be awarded the gold medal. They lost, fair and square. It wasn't like the Chinese team was using steroids or something and they had a physical advantage against their opponents.

Basically in the end they should be stripped of their medals and no gold should be awarded for the event.

kaliayev

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
@saki
just the amount of absurd stuff the happened in it. red card for belgium -> italy up one through pk -> belgium tying (i actually missed dembele's first goal cause i was in the shower. if anyone has a link to a clip, that would be nice since nbc is awful at getting anything unrelated to phelps posted on their site) -> belgium taking the lead at the end of the first half -> bailly getting injured from getting a break when he dragged rossi down inside the box (still laughing at the fact that rossi got a yellow card) -> kalambay coming in -> second pk for italy -> hilarious second goal for dembele (how viviano could have missed that is unknown to me) -> red card for viviano after acting like an idiot when belgium was celebrating -> belgium nearly scoring again as the game came to a close.

plus, i didn't want italy to win so the match was funny to me. two free goals and they still can't pull out a win. XD

p.s. it's also ironic when you take into consideration the amount of people who complained about the us having little chance of winning after their early ejection against nigeria.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
If the women's Chinese team did have members underage then I think they should be stripped of the gold medal. They violated the rules and should be penalized for it. However, I don't think the US's team should be awarded the gold medal. They lost, fair and square. It wasn't like the Chinese team was using steroids or something and they had a physical advantage against their opponents.

Basically in the end they should be stripped of their medals and no gold should be awarded for the event.

I think it happened before, correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm not sure if it's the Olympics or not. They just simply strip the winner's title and left it void. No scaling up the results.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
@saki
just the amount of absurd stuff the happened in it. red card for belgium -> italy up one through pk -> belgium tying (i actually missed dembele's first goal cause i was in the shower. if anyone has a link to a clip, that would be nice since nbc is awful at getting anything unrelated to phelps posted on their site) -> belgium taking the lead at the end of the first half -> bailly getting injured from getting a break when he dragged rossi down inside the box (still laughing at the fact that rossi got a yellow card) -> kalambay coming in -> second pk for italy -> hilarious second goal for dembele (how viviano could have missed that is unknown to me) -> red card for viviano after acting like an idiot when belgium was celebrating -> belgium nearly scoring again as the game came to a close.

plus, i didn't want italy to win so the match was funny to me. two free goals and they still can't pull out a win. XD

p.s. it's also ironic when you take into consideration the amount of people who complained about the us having little chance of winning after their early ejection against nigeria.
yeah the game really was hilarious: I always keep laughing with bailly etting injured. How he pulls that leg of rossi and the the italian player gets yellow, but he should learn to fall. Mirallas throwing that ball wasq so great :D what a sneaky bastard. How he threw that ball in the face.

I think the two field goals of belgium 2-1 and 3-2 were really beauties. Second for the combination they did and third one for dembeles aka maradonna/messi run

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4luUm4ckB0Y

(music but not so good images)

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza.be/Olympia/voetbal/080816_voetbal_ITA_BEL_verslag#

(belgian site: video (at the right of the picture) wedstrijdverslag is the whole game in a short summary or you can just watch the goals, then again it's in dutch)

on a sidenote: great to see an american watching the soccer game. How were the comments?

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

can you believe the outcome of this race? just... un-freaking-believable.... .01 difference??? phelps is a living legend dammit

KnuckleheadedNinja

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
wow! Usian Bolt is fucking fast. Damn that was unbelievable.

Shiro-kun

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

can you believe the outcome of this race? just... un-freaking-believable.... .01 difference??? phelps is a living legend dammit
Yeah that was very unbelivable, Phelps is a freak of nature and now he has Eight Gold Metals ..incredible ..very incredible !

Dr4G0nZ

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh man @ Liu Xiang.

LB56

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
wow! Usian Bolt is fucking fast. Damn that was unbelievable.
He just coasted for the last 40m, and he still set a world record. Can you imagine how fast he would have been had he actually run hard for the whole race?

bigtymer32

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yelena Isinbayeva is amazing at pole vault no one can touch her

KnuckleheadedNinja

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
He just coasted for the last 40m, and he still set a world record. Can you imagine how fast he would have been had he actually run hard for the whole race?
I know that the crazy thing about it.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Argentina Brazil is in an hour and a half, predictions?

I have mixed feelings for Aguero saying Messi is better than Ronaldhino and the best in the world atm, I think due to a lot of people not giving him credit, he has a low self esteem. Truth is, he's pretty high up there as well (although granted they play different positions and aren't really comparable).

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i really felt china's disappointment at liu xiang

Agrias

Holy Knight
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I can't say I didn't expect losing to Argentina, heh. I haven't watched the game, but my dad is so pissed that I think it was as bad as I thought it would be. :p

At least our soccer girls *try* to win...watching our men's soccer team nowadays only makes me angry ¬¬

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Well I think Brazil severely lacked midfielders, maybe instead of the new fatty, they should have picked Kaka as the captain.. that would have certainly made the match more even (and brought along Robinho as well).

All in all I am glad Aguero showed how truly good he is, I just wish he played for a better club.. not that AM isn't a good club but, he really is a class above all other strikers in my opinion.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
This is probably a tad pre-mature, since there are still four days left , but just i just couldn't help it :smile-big

Gold
1 China China 43
2 United States 26
3 Great Britain 16 :p
4 Australia 11
5 Germany 11

Status
Not open for further replies.