American Politics | Page 550 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
How does any of this address what you quoted?

A counter argument to my post.

I say that based on a comprehensive analysis my colleagues and I performed and published Tuesday in The BMJ. In this study, in which we linked U.S. mortality and election data from 2001 to 2019, people in counties that voted for Republican presidential candidates were more like to die prematurely than those in counties that voted for Democratic candidates, and the gap has grown sixfold over the last two decades. We found similar results when we looked only at counties that voted for one party’s candidate throughout that period, as well as when we used state election data for governors.

As death rates in Democratic counties declined 22% between 2001 to 2019, Republican counties saw on an 11% decline, with almost no improvement since 2008.

What to make of this.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't really think mortality and election data has anything to do with suggesting that the world is/will be better suited for Christian Conservatives and some half-baked notion about meritocracy, no. And you completely ignored my point that the majority of the most Christian countries being incredibly poor.

There is a more broadly obvious correlation between wealth and Western hegemony/imperialism. If you want to advocate for Christianity's role in that, be my guest, I might even agree.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
And you completely ignored my point that the majority of the most Christian countries being incredibly poor.

Christ never became wealthy in the riches of the world.

It makes sense for followers of Christ to follow a similar path in life?

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Christ also got crucified... Probably best that followers of Christ don't follow his footsteps too closely

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Christ never became wealthy in the riches of the world.

It makes sense for followers of Christ to follow a similar path in life?
So then material conditions are only irrelevant if you're actually poor? Not really following your point.

My point was that if "christian conservatives" had the answer for how to survive in today's world, then countries that are 90+% Christian wouldn't be among the poorest countries in existence. But that's how it is, and that details an answer that has very little to do with faith or even political persuasion.

ninjabot

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
xi0 said:
So then material conditions are only irrelevant if you're actually poor? Not really following your point.
In the words of Kanye West back before he lost his god damned mind: "Money isn't everything, but not having it is."

Side note: Is everyone enjoying the Jan. 6 hearings as much as me? Barr throwing haymakers, lol.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I've read about the hearings a bit but I have zero hope anything will come out of them. Since democrats are too spineless to do anything at all without republican's permission.

And there's that. Biden poll's straight up worst than trump.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Christ also got crucified... Probably best that followers of Christ don't follow his footsteps too closely
Christians in the philippines commemorate Christ by nailing themselves to crosses with actual nails. (There are clips of it on youtube)

Too late.

:Atobewut

My point was that if "christian conservatives" had the answer for how to survive in today's world, then countries that are 90+% Christian wouldn't be among the poorest countries in existence. But that's how it is, and that details an answer that has very little to do with faith or even political persuasion.
As mentioned, King David murdered a husband and took his wife, after becoming a rich ruling elite.

There may not be many wealthy christians if many of them convert to atheism after amassing their wealth and power. As a rich ruling elite there are many things they can do and get away with which normal people cannot. I think many choose to walk a path where they reduce their moral restrictions and abandon the moral code of the bible.

So it makes sense for demographics being what they are.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Christians in the philippines commemorate Christ by nailing themselves to crosses with actual nails. (There are clips of it on youtube)
Sure, it's pretty idiotic, but not really the same - certainly a whole lot less lethal

Anyway, shouldn't this all be discussed on the religion thread?
Seems to be rather off-topic to me

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
As mentioned, King David murdered a husband and took his wife, after becoming a rich ruling elite.

There may not be many wealthy christians if many of them convert to atheism after amassing their wealth and power. As a rich ruling elite there are many things they can do and get away with which normal people cannot. I think many choose to walk a path where they reduce their moral restrictions and abandon the moral code of the bible.

So it makes sense for demographics being what they are.
It doesn't make sense, no. Plenty of very wealthy people are still religious and not "converting" to atheism.

People do those things all of the time, regardless of whether they're very wealthy or not. The difference is the wealthy doing it has far-reaching consequences for everyone in society.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I kind of wonder what the brass tacks argument is against these two being in jail?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
A counter argument to my post.

What to make of this.
I don't think political views matter as much as beliefs about healthcare and affordability.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It doesn't make sense, no. Plenty of very wealthy people are still religious and not "converting" to atheism.
Which wealthy religious people? There are none.

As I remember it, many of you are fond of acknowledging rich pastors and preachers are terrible examples of what religion should be.

I kind of wonder what the brass tacks argument is against these two being in jail?

District attorney Chesa Boudin was recalled.

Gavin Newsom was not recalled but there could be a shift occurring.

Gun control red flag laws are up next.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

As I remember it, many of you are fond of acknowledging rich pastors and preachers are terrible examples of what religion should be.
No true Scotsman fallacy in full effect. We can talk all we want about what constitutes a "good Christian", the only thing that can be counted on objectively is how they identify.

Well yeah, they are. It's emergent behavior. Is that something that must be treated wholly separate when discussing how a religion is practiced?

District attorney Chesa Boudin was recalled.

Gavin Newsom was not recalled but there could be a shift occurring.

Gun control red flag laws are up next.
I'm confused. What does this have to do with the Thomas' complete lack of respect for the law and conflict of interest?

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reflecting on messaging and "grooming." For the longest time, all the news about inappropriate behaviors in school tends to be male teachers on female students. Then in recent 5 to 10 years, I see a lot of female teachers on young male students. When yahoo used to have a comment section (then they remove it, then they reinstate it), a lot of comments were like where were these hot female teachers when I was a students. In some way, these news seemed to not be as heavy hit. Those attitudes too would latter shifted and male victims would be taken more seriously.

But all of those are mostly heterosexual. This is why the policies and the message seemed to be so interesting. That Florida and other places are like "anti-grooming" when they don't really take any step to addressed all those legacy grooming issues that plague the school and even their religious institution. All the step that they take were more about anti lgbt. Even when there is a legit discussion to be have at what age these discussion should be have, and in what manner, and how it should be address. And what consider appropriate or not appropriate. But for an anti grooming agenda to not include anything in term of the broader more numerous heterosexual misconduct over the years. Is well so blatant. Jim Bob Duggar of the 16 and counting, running for a republican seat. Of course, his family is famous for having a son who molest multiple of their daughters. Their response was something along the like at least he isn't gay.

Masking the anti-lgbt with something broad like "anti-grooming" or "parent right" is very very effective.

To whom though, they had hundreds of thousand to million worshippers. Are those hundreds of thousand and millions not religious? And their opinions should not be count? Because I am sure those very religious people do think their own pastors and preachers are religious, hence they threw their money at them. In fact their opinion maybe more of a popular opinion.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
No true Scotsman fallacy

Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett.

Names like these are not prone towards being religious.

To whom though, they had hundreds of thousand to million worshippers. Are those hundreds of thousand and millions not religious? And their opinions should not be count? Because I am sure those very religious people do think their own pastors and preachers are religious, hence they threw their money at them. In fact their opinion maybe more of a popular opinion.

Popular opinion is defined by a majority, who are usually determined not to think about or know things.

Wealthy preachers are paid for the sense of community and companionship they provide.

Not their religious content, which is terrible.

There’s a run on Chinese banks and it’s being ignored by the world

Mike Novogratz says the economy is going to ‘collapse’ and we’re heading into a ‘really fast recession’

In today's news we have a chinese bank run and predictions of US recession.

Should I be concerned??

:catshrug

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett.

Names like these are not prone towards being religious.
Only Musk and Buffet describe themselves as being agnostic or areligious, and yet Buffet donates tons of money to religious organizations despite that. Plus you just named 4 people. What about all of the very wealthy people that you don't know the names of?

Popular opinion is defined by a majority, who are usually determined not to think about or know things.

Wealthy preachers are paid for the sense of community and companionship they provide.

Not their religious content, which is terrible.
"who are usually determined not to think about or know things" - and yet if you read your posts in this thread, you will quite often cite public opinion or majority thinking as having some sort of inherent value. Why does that same line of thinking not apply to this topic then?

We're not making value judgments about the nature of their religious content, only that they themselves are religious and that people that follows them are also religious. Additionally, if they believe in God and that Jesus was the messiah, then they are Christian. You might not like that conclusion, but that's how religion works. There's no reason or need to get further into the weeds there.

Masking the anti-lgbt with something broad like "anti-grooming" or "parent right" is very very effective.
It's also what neo-fascists do. When all else fails, blame your reactionary thinking on "moral degradation".

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Only Musk and Buffet describe themselves as being agnostic or areligious, and yet Buffet donates tons of money to religious organizations despite that. Plus you just named 4 people. What about all of the very wealthy people that you don't know the names of?
Breitbart is the only conservative owned media in the world. And even they are publishing many non conservative narratives.

Its one of exceedingly few cases where the wealthy fund conservative causes. And even that is evaporating as we speak.

None of the wealthy fund conservative causes -- as none are conservative.

"who are usually determined not to think about or know things" - and yet if you read your posts in this thread, you will quite often cite public opinion or majority thinking as having some sort of inherent value. Why does that same line of thinking not apply to this topic then?
Public opinion has value to me.

I think it matters but I see many political planners today treat the public as if they're irrelevant.

And so they're shocked and surprised when Trump beats Hillary in the 2016 elections.

We're not making value judgments about the nature of their religious content, only that they themselves are religious and that people that follows them are also religious.
There is a bible verse that says.

"The true believer in God, are those who follow the teachings of God."

You probably wouldn't accept someone who believes the world was created 7,000 years ago being labeled a legitimate scientist.

Just as I wouldn't accept televangalists who omit all of the relevant and important points of religion from their telecasts being legitimate preachers.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Breitbart is the only conservative owned media in the world. And even they are publishing many non conservative narratives.

Its one of exceedingly few cases where the wealthy fund conservative causes. And even that is evaporating as we speak.

None of the wealthy fund conservative causes -- as none are conservative.
So all of a sudden Rupert Murdoch isn't a conservative? :lmao Plenty of the wealthy fund conservative causes... do you know who the Koch Brothers are?

Just as an example... plenty of Republicans here. And that's not counting corporations either. Plenty of conservative money funding media too.

If they fail your purity test and you don't consider them "true conservatives"..... who cares? Is someone on the Left supposed to feel like funding Republican political campaigns is somehow not what a conservative would do? It's nonsensical.

Public opinion has value to me.

I think it matters but I see many political planners today treat the public as if they're irrelevant.

And so they're shocked and surprised when Trump beats Hillary in the 2016 elections.
That doesn't really answer the question though. It matters to you when it comes to politics, but it's not good enough when it comes to religion and how it generally functions.

There is a bible verse that says.

"The true believer in God, are those who follow the teachings of God."

You probably wouldn't accept someone who believes the world was created 7,000 years ago being labeled a legitimate scientist.

Just as I wouldn't accept televangalists who omit all of the relevant and important points of religion from their telecasts being legitimate preachers.
No one is asking you to "accept" them. Regardless, it has no bearing on whether they're Christian or not.

And people will unironically think this is to blame for the current state of the world... not any of the tangible injustices or wealth inequality or anything...

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
the weirdest part about Asians still wanting more police on the streets is that there are at least two mass shootings/acts of violence in the past six months that could have been stopped or prevented had the cops actually did their job.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

Funny.

Or not funny.

???