The Molokidan Thread~! | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Molokidan Thread~!

Wafo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Peru
Sorry for mistake, the mangas was in japanesse XD.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just stopped by to say hello. Since you seem to live in Kyoto, I wanted to introduce one of my favorite places to visit: Nijo-jinya(二条陣屋). You may have already been there, but it is like a small ninja house. It was actually an old inn where Daimyo (federal lords) stayed while visiting Kyoto. The inn has many hidden rooms and tricks to protect the lords. It's a bit expensive to get in. It costs about 1,000 yen (12USD?) and requires a reservation ahead of time, but it is an interesting place to visit. Most people only visit the Nijo Castle, which is about 3 minute walk from there and do not know anything about this inn.

By the way, have you been to Kyoto International Manga Museum? (I assume you have.) What do you think of the place?

Last edited:

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Thanks for the info, mikkih! I'll definitely check out that place when I get a chance.

I have been to the Manga Museum, numerous times. What can I say about it? I was very underwhelmed by the entire experience. You think of a museum as a place to look at rare artifacts, things from the past, important and culturally significant items...and while the manga museum certainly has a lot of manga, it's missing so much. You'd think they would possess full collections of important authors' works, but there is a lot of catering to what's popular, and you won't necessarily find a lesser-known or out-of-print work there.

They have a vault in the basement which features lots of old weekly/monthly magazines from over 40 years ago, but the way it's set up, you can't even look inside, or even get a look at the entire collection, so that really defeats the point.

I was also surprised by how much "event"-oriented activities they had there, including cosplaying, drawing manga, etc. I really think "Museum" is the wrong word for the place. There's a university professor in Tokyo who has a larger collection than this place. I think "Manga Center" would make more sense, personally. Or maybe I just went in with too many expectations. They have cosplaying events just about every week, though, so if that's your thing, then I recommend it.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
molokidan,

Thanks for your detailed insights on the Manga Museum. I only know the place from their official website. I only gathered that they featured manga titles from older days and had a few events. If you have been there numerous times, it's probably good enough to visit at least once. I'll swing by with lower expectations next time around. I do not mind seeing the drawing manga part of their events you mentioned. Even with disappointments, I can stop by BOOKOFF on the way back and be happy again. Thx. :)

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
No problem! And yes, I much prefer Bookoff for manga hunting. Although their buyback prices are pretty much highway robbery.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I sure do appreciate people who sell their books at the store. (Hope you are not just selling.) How do you show your good holiday spirit? [喜久屋で買って、ブックオフで売る] would be it. :)

Last edited:

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
No, I buy and sell of course. Holiday spirit? For what holiday...? And don't say Christmas, because that's pretty much Valentine's Day here.

Nintakun

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Now it's my time to stop here in this thread.

i'm Still a rookie translator, I wish i could be like you molokidan, i'm your fan, man!
You're a hero that translated Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoi-yo Masaru-san, now it's my favorite comedy manga (and i'm translating this to portuguese, for people in my country know this marvelous manga^^)

i'm planning to read Fourteen, it looks preety interesting.

well, that's it, Keep up with the good job, man!

PS: Any plans to continue Pyuu to fuku Jaguar?

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Hi Nintakun, thanks for the comments.

Masaru is indeed a classic. Great job translating it to Portuguese! That must not be an easy job.

I actually DO NOT have plans to translate Jaguar past the 3rd volume...I'm too busy these days and trying to cut down on my projects, and my interest in translating Jaguar has been waning, even though I also love the series.

If you wanted to pick up Jaguar for yourself, feel free to.

Nintakun

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
well, if i Knew Japanese well, i could pick Jaguar to translate. I'm Still studiyng Nihongo (at the moment, i can only read hiragana and Katakana, i still haven't started to study the grammar), in the future, when I will be fluent at the language, I Plan to translate these manga:

-Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi (Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro)
-Karakuri Circus (Kazuhiro Fujita)
-Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (Yoshihiro Takahashi)
-Pyuu to Fuku Jaguar! (Kyousuke Usuta)
-Bushizawa Receive (Kyousuke Usuta)
-Cat's Eye (Tsukasa Hojo)
-Space Adventure Cobra (Buichi Terasawa)

What do you think of my selection for future projects?^^

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Wow! That's certainly an interesting lineup. I wish you luck! Translating is a good way to learn, as long as you find someone to proof for you before letting someone use it for Edited Manga.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it was eons ago that you TLed it, but I just wanted to personally thank you for doing 'Bankara-san ga tooru'. Sorachi needs more love, and thanks to that oneshot, I think he may be getting it.

Back to slaving away over a hot set of Gintama. *sighs*

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
No problem, it was a pleasure to do. I really hated doing BENCH!, so it was a breath of fresh air. I always enjoy reading the Gintama volumes...but not necessarily translating them :P You have my respect for sticking in there this long. Never give up!

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
No problem, it was a pleasure to do. I really hated doing BENCH!, so it was a breath of fresh air. I always enjoy reading the Gintama volumes...but not necessarily translating them :P You have my respecting for sticking in there this long. Never give up!
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a translation god like you. :-P Hopefully after Grad school lets out this semester, I'll be able to catch up again. Trying to translate two weeks worth of Gintama should be considered a form of suicide, I tell ya.

Thanks for keeping up with One piece though, since it's hard to find raws, I have to hunker down and read scantlations. So it's nice to see Mangastream get them up so fast.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I buy and sell of course. Holiday spirit? For what holiday...? And don't say Christmas, because that's pretty much Valentine's Day here.
Ooops, I meant Xmas. Funny, you are absolutely right about that,

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
Good luck, Rufi. By the way, what's your degree? I'm in the middle of grad school in Japan as well.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck, Rufi. By the way, what's your degree? I'm in the middle of grad school in Japan as well.
English/Communications. I don't want to teach, which is why I have the second one there. I love writing though (as financially unstable as it is.) Although, I have a job with the US Government, so it's not like I'm a starving artist.

Honestly I'd love to get good enough at Japanese to be able to make a living translating, so I've been trying to take lessons. If that doesn't work out, I guess I have writing, lyricing and being a Dog of the military er....government to fall back on.

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
By making a living translating, do you mean making a living translating for the government? Because I could see how that'd be possible. It's really hard to be a freelancer...as I'm quickly finding out.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
By making a living translating, do you mean making a living translating for the government? Because I could see how that'd be possible. It's really hard to be a freelancer...as I'm quickly finding out.

I'd go for that, yeah. I'd probably feel more at home doing games, anime or manga though. Still, I just like being able to read and write Japanese. The money would be good, but it's just something I like doing.

Ew, I figured freelancing wouldn't be the best way to go. It's hard enough finding writing gigs freelancing. I would think translation would be a bit easier though. :-S

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
I dunno, I really depends on your network of people and how many 'connections' you have, I'm finding out. I've seen people 'falling' into big translating jobs with people like Capcom or Square Enix just because they knew someone who worked there. So long answer short is: be social, I guess!